Self-Assessment Reflection Blog

Prior to taking this class, I did not really consider having a specific weakness aside from the fact that English is not my first language. After receiving feedback from my peer and instructor, I realized that my biggest weakness is that I write little content. My peer commented that I could make my sentences shorter and more concise. My instructor point out that my peer reviews are often too brief, and I should write detailed sentences. I think I might have focused too much on filling the word limit. I understand that technical writing and communication is different, so I focused on writing with more detail but keeping it concise. It is still something I need to work on, so I am glad I learned useful writing techniques (such as the “You attitude”) I could continue using throughout university and the workplace.

On the other hand, I considered organization and time management to be my biggest strengths in writing. I learned from my experience as a reporter that meeting the deadline is crucial, and therefore planning out everything from the schedule to outline is the biggest key to professional writing. I did struggle with writing the formal report, mostly because of the topic itself, but for all the other assignments I was able to submit them on time.

One thing I did not expect from this course is that it is highly dependent on the peer review process. There were a total of 3 peer review assignments including: definitions assignment, formal report proposal and formal report draft. I believe it was a valuable experience because it gave me the opportunity to thoroughly read my peer’s writing and give my impressions and suggestions, which is a practice that happens all the time in the industry (i.e. exchanging feedback, etc.). I was also able to improve my own writing from my peer’s feedback. From fixing minor typos to changing the structure, I would not have been able to do without the constructive criticism.

Overall, the course helped me learn and make use of important writing skills and techniques used in academia and the workplace. Now that my first co-op term is coming up, I am planning to review what I learned from this course and work on improving my weaknesses while honing my strengths.

Creating a Web Folio Reflection Blog

Creating a Web Folio was fun, but it definitely took a considerate amount of time to complete. Rearranging my 301 blog, changing the design and adding some of my favorite pictures was something I actually enjoyed doing. I remember myself having trouble setting up the blog in May, as I had never used UBC Blogs before, but now I am more than comfortable using its various tools. The blog’s background image and the pictures I added to Home, Biography and Course Overview are all photos I took over the summer. Although the pictures are not necessarily related to the content, I decided to focus on putting together similar images to create a thematic visual as a way of “branding” my Web Folio.

The most challenging part of creating the Web Folio was compiling the “best assignments” I completed over the course. To organize the purpose, achievement and changes made for each assignment I had to go back and forth the assignment, instructor evaluation and peer review. For some assignments I had forgotten to revise them right away, so it took quite a lot of time to get everything organized and done. Nevertheless, carefully re-reading my assignments and noticing the little improvements in my writing felt somewhat rewarding. Overall I feel happy and proud to put together the work I’ve done over the summer.

However, my biggest regret is not putting enough time into the application package. I have written cover letters and resumes before, but I think I lacked writing a job-specific cover letter and resume (i.e. writing in consideration of what that specific employer is looking for) for this specific assignment. Even though it was good practice, I wish I had more actual work or project experience that is related to the software engineering industry. After I gain more experience, I could probably write a more appealing application package while making use of the writing techniques I learned throughout this course.

Unit Three Reflection Blog

Unit three of this course focused on drafting the formal report. This included doing background research, collecting the data and organizing/analyzing the interview results. Although writing the proposal and outline for my formal report was fairly straightforward, I found it extremely difficult to research the information I would need for my report. For example, the Seoul Metropolitan Government provides sources that explain how the system works, but there was little information regarding the language function of the app that is used to rent the bikes. The only similar study I could find was about improving the system for the elderly, which has to do more with the design of the bikes or rental stations rather than the app itself.

Another major roadblock I encountered was coming up with practical or feasible recommendations for the problems that I have identified throughout the report. Laying out the issues was not too difficult, but finding the grounds for plausible solutions was something I did not consider deeply enough when drafting the proposal. The general solutions I could think of on the top of my mind are not specific (for example, adding a language option in the app). As a result, I was not able to write any of the recommendations on the formal report draft yet. This really made me reflect on the importance of preparing for a proposal and drafting a progress report.

Reading Samantha’s formal report draft as part of the peer review assignment also made me reflect on my own research and writing. Samantha’s report on improving the understanding of waste sorting was specific yet easy to understand as a non-technical reader. For data collection, a survey, literature review and an informational interview was conducted to narrow down the most achievable and efficient initiatives. I should keep in mind that the recommendations should be based on data, and that is what I will have to focus on the most while drafting the final version of the formal report.

Formal Report Draft

Unit Two Reflection Blog

Researching helpful tips and strategies for expanding one’s professional network via LinkedIn was insightful. I created a LinkedIn profile for an assignment years ago, so I was not exactly up-to-date on certain practices that are used among professionals. I used to assume that LinkedIn was just another social media platform, so I was surprised that messages including personal connection and recommendation requests involved formality. I believe the practices my team and I have researched will be helpful once I try making a LinkedIn profile again.

Brainstorming a topic for the formal report was quite difficult. Because I am taking this course in my home country, I could not think of a topic that is related to UBC, Vancouver, or a certain workplace. I chose to write a formal report about the public bike rental service in Seoul because despite being a widely-used service, I have heard consistent complaints regarding the app among non-Korean speakers and foreigners. Thus, writing the proposal and outline was relatively straightforward. I am still somewhat concerned about the analysis part of the formal report – as per the feedback, I am considering constructing a survey rather than doing in-depth interviews to produce better data and visuals. Since the formal report must be submitted in less than a month, I should keep in mind to follow the tentative writing schedule.

Similar to the peer review process from unit one, exchanging feedback with my writing team peers was extremely helpful. Samantha’s proposal was extremely well-written and detailed. The peer review I wrote in the first unit mostly focused on the suggestions, so this time I included more detailed comments on the overall document. From the peer review on my proposal, I learned that I need to continue practicing writing more clearly and concisely. I tend to write long sentences, which is not so efficient in technical communication. I will try to remember this the next time I write something that is intended for a similar audience.

Formal Report Proposal

Peer Review

Unit One Reflection Blog

The first unit of this course introduced what technical communication is and what kind of writing is expected according to its purpose and audience. I especially learned a lot from writing emails to perspective team members by considering clear organization and a friendly tone. The definitions assignment further expanded my knowledge of different types of definitions, and what to keep in mind when the writing is directed to non-technical readers.

I focused on Object-oriented Programming (OOP) as the term for the definitions assignment. Writing the first draft was more difficult than I thought, as I had to take into account how comprehensible my writing is to a reader who has little or no knowledge of computer science or programming. This led me to think more carefully on what expansion strategies to choose. I believed it would make most sense to use comparison to both explain what OOP is and imply its significance (e.g. compared to previous programming paradigms, OOP is more applicable in the real world). By adding a structure and example to the expanded definition, I intended to further exemplify how OOP works.

The peer reviewing process was very helpful for two reasons: first, it allowed me to read my teammate’s work and compare it to my own. My peer review partner, Samantha Krieg, wrote about the degree of freedom, a concept that is important in structural analysis and in the engineering field. I could see that the expanded definition was very detailed and had the appropriate visual components, making it easier for me to understand an unfamiliar concept. Second, I was able to read critically and offer suggestions as a non-technical reader. Again, this made me think about my own assignment and helped me in the self-editing process.

Along with Samantha’s peer review, I re-read my assignment to see which parts needed revision. As Samantha had pointed out, many sentences could have been shortened and written more concisely. It reminded me that I should assume that my audience are busy people and I should limit filler words or phrases that do not have much meaning. I also learned that some jargon or technical terms I had written without parenthetical definitions could have confused non-technical readers. I fixed a few citation errors and added a reading situation in the introduction to give more context to the definition of OOP and its significance.

Revised draft

Peer review

Email message/response to perspective writing team

Dear Ashnuka,

Thank you for taking the time to read my application letter and biography on my blog. I would love to join your writing team.

Your internships and volunteering experiences in data analysis and digital marketing are very impressive. I believe we also have similar learning philosophies when it comes to constructive criticism and learning from others.

I understand that due to my late response, you might have already formed a writing team. Please let me know what your team looks like. I would be happy to discuss further about the team.

Sincerely,

Jeemin Kim

301 Jeemin Kim Application Letter

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to read my application and biography on my blog. I gladly accept your invitation to join your writing team.

Your background in psychology and professional work experience in social services is very impressive. I believe your strong communication and interpersonal skills will contribute greatly to the team. As a fellow BCS student, I am also interested in hearing more about your decision to switch career paths, as well as your overall experience in the program so far.

I will be looking forward to working with you. If you have any further questions, please reach me at merikuri@student.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Jeemin Kim

301 Jeemin Kim Application Letter

Memo

Memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL 301 Instructor
From: Jeemin Kim, ENGL 301 Student
Date: May 30, 2022
Subject: Application Letter

Attached to this memo is the application letter I posted on my UBC blog. The letter includes the following information:

• Work experience as a reporter and research assistant
  • Exposure to technical and collaborative writing
  • Why I value teamwork and open communication

Please review my application letter and let me know if any further changes are needed.

Enclosure: 301 Jeemin Kim Application Letter

Application Letter

3926 W 11th Ave
Vancouver, BC V6R 2L1
May 30, 2022

ENGL 301 Classmates
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL 301 classmates:

Please consider my application for being part of your professional writing team, as advertised on the course website. I am a third-year student in the Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) program, and I believe my experiences in collaborative writing will be a great addition to your team.

At my previous university, I worked for the school newspaper as a reporter and managing editor. As such, I am well aware of the principles of collaborative writing, which includes adhering to a specific style guide, proper formatting, revising and proofreading. My experience as a student reporter led to internships at a newspaper and marketing research company, where I continued to hone my writing skills in correspondence, formal reports, and other forms of written communication.

My professional and academic interests include new technology and startups, cultural/ethnic studies, popular culture, and higher education. I believe interning as a reporter and research assistant broadened my interests because both required studying various industries in different regional contexts. Although I lack professional experience in a specific field, I am positive that I could quickly learn any topic your writing team wishes to focus on.

I believe working as a team is a great source of learning and personal growth because it serves as an opportunity to exchange ideas, expand interests, and broaden perspectives. I sometimes find it difficult to express my opinion because I fear conflict, but I have come to acknowledge that healthy conflict often leads to increased productivity. As such, I believe it is important to set common goals that encourage open communication between team members.

I appreciate the time you have taken into reading my application. If you are interested in including me in your writing team, you can reach through my email at merikuri@student.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Jeemin Kim

301 Jeemin Kim Application Letter