Re: External Blog ‘Social Media Marketing’, Jonathan Greene

April 7th, 2013

In this blog post, Jonathan Greene talks about how certain social media sites are misused, comparing it to wearing flip-flops to an extravagant event such as a wedding.  He says, often marketers often end up looking like the odd man out simply by taking the wrong tones with their campaignse.  Greene then goes on to make comparisons in which I find totally relevant and surprisingly accurate.

Facebook is a pub-crawl.  The only way to market effectively with Facebook is to have an interesting enough topic.  Marketing on Facebook would be like having a salesman interrupting your while you tell your friend about an insane frat party, it is often ignored and annoying.

Twitter is a speed date.  You have a 140 character word limit to make a statement and to catch someone’s attention.  You must earn the consumer’s interest in a very short period of time or you will easily get overlooked.   Buddy Media found that Twitter messages under 100 characters performed 17% better. Marketing through twitter must be concise and compelling, its purpose isn’t to convince but to intrigue.

Greene’s comparisons are on point. For the most part, I don’t pay attention to ads on either social media platform but I do find Twitter to be more affective for marketing.  Facebook is used more for your circle of friends; everything else is often pushed into a corner.  For Twitter, I want to learn new things and am much more forgiving towards advertising to the point that I won’t shy away from advertising as I scroll through my feed.  Advertising online will generate results if the substance is interesting and concise, otherwise, any consumer will either ignore you like the salesman at a pub or move on to the next contestant like in speed dating.

Link to Greene’s Article Here

Image Source