The best business decision in a no win situation

Flip is a restaurant from my home city in Regina, Saskatchewan. There have been thirteen E-coli cases reported in Saskatchewan over the past few months. Five of these cases had all recently eaten at the restaurant Flip. While home on the weekend I learned that they had voluntarily shut down for 5 days for this reason so that an investigation could be done. Many people were very critical of this decision. The restaurant I work at thought that this was a bad business decision because they would now stand out in a negative way. I disagree with this because I think if they had stayed open they would have had more negative press. E-coli is a very serious issue to have in a restaurant and had they stayed open it would have sent the message that they don’t take safety seriously. Also had they not cooperated with the investigation it could have seemed like they had something to hide, when in reality they have never had any health issues in the past. I think that Flip made the best business decision possible given the situation.

Image retrieved from: http://www.leaderpost.com/7365521.bin