McDonald’s Customizable Burgers: Bad Idea

Adding on to Tiffany Chen’s post, “McDonald’s next step in repositioning their brand image, effective?”, I do not recommend McDonald having the option of customizing a burger. Though McDonald’s has been changing from fast food to more healthier choices like fruits and salads, I still believe that McDonald’s is unhealthy just simply due to their image. Their value proposition was that they can produce tasty, cheap, and fast food, and even though they’re going healthy, it’s hard to accept. Even if I were to feel like eating healthy, I wouldn’t go to McDonald’s to get my daily nutritional intake. There are plenty of places out there where you can get a healthy meal in a few minutes.

Additionally with starting the customizable burger option, busy customers who goes to McDonald’s to get a fast meal might have second thoughts, now that it’ll take longer to make. With having the customizable burgers, it’ll take away the original value proposition of producing fast food. From my experience with Subway, it’ll take a fairly longer time to choose what to have in the burger instead of having one specific burger already set for you. It’ll mean that McDonald’s line ups are going to be longer, and that they’ll need to add costs for more workers. McDonald will need to have a point of difference in the “healthy” foods menu if they want to stand amongst other restaurants with customizable burgers.

Image: http://todaysfreestuff.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/McDonald%E2%80%99s-healthy-options-menu.jpg