Sauder Alumni – Inspirational Entrepreneurial Stories

Jennifer-DuffyTangooTeamsmallresTom_Dobrzanski_body.ashx

On November 4th,  UBC Sauder graduates Paul Davidescu, Tom Dobrzanski, and Jenny Duffy shared their success stories and entrepreneurial paths to the businesses they are running today. It was fascinating and truly inspirational to hear how someone is using the skill set they gained in Sauder and applying this knowledge to their own companies.

Prior to attending Sauder, I have always dreamt of being an entrepreneur.  I am grateful to grow up in a family where both my parents are hard-working entrepreneurs. My mother, Sylvia Tse, is the founder and owner of Tian Xu Chinese Medicine Acupuncture Clinic. My father, Edward Chung Tse, is the founder of the Great Wall Restaurant and co-owner of the Hart Wheel Inn Restaurant.

I was intrigued by Jenny Duffy’s story so after class, I approached her asking for some entrepreneurial advice. I asked, “what is the real secret in creating a successful business?”

Duffy replied, “First, you have to define what your version of success is. For me, success is waking up everyday and being able to go to a job I enjoy. There isn’t a ‘real secret’ in creating a successful business; you just have to find what you love to do and work hard for it. You can either spend your evening sitting in front of a TV or chasing your dreams. The choice is yours.”

The entrepreneurial sector in business is unique in comparison to other sectors such as management, finance, etc. in a sense that everyone is placed on an even playing level. Specifically, I’ve learned that entrepreneurial success is equated to the amount of work and dedication put into a business.

Sources:

http://www.jennyduffy.com

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/day-to-day/vancouver-student-turns-love-for-dance-into-thriving-business/article19240476/