Surface 3: Looking Better By The Day

What do you think of Surface 3? You can read the reviews and most of what I’ve read is that it’s a brilliant little machine. There’s generally some balking at the price, but setting that aside for a minute:

I DO need an all-day full-Windows device. That is, something that will run legacy applications.  Previous versions of Surface (not Pro) have given me the all-day experience, and the Surface Pros have given me full-Windows with support for legacy applications. It just seemed that I couldn’t have both.

When I need to be completely portable, and by that I mean walking around with my Surface (any model) in one hand here’s what I’m thinking:

• Weight: Surface 3
    178 grams (0.39 lbs =6.24 ounces) is going to make a difference.
    That is the  difference in weight between Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3
    Surface 3:          622 g (1.37 lbs)
    Surface Pro 3: 800 g (1.76 lbs)
  • Screen Resolution: It’s a draw
    Screen resolution probably won’t matter given  what I do when standing.  I’m usually writing, sketching, doing annotations on the screen, or navigating through a presentation. I think it’s a draw.
    Surface 3:           1920 x 1280
    Surface Pro 3:  2160 x 1440
  • Battery life: Surface 3
    Battery life is a state of mind and more than just the difference in the specifications. If I am not absolutely confident that my device will go the distance on its battery, I have to bring along and use the charger. That’s an anchor on a glider and completely changes my perception of the device. For what I do when standing,
    (presentations and learning events) I need to know that I that run about 3-4 hours with confidence. I frequently use Skype to share my screen and Skype is a battery killer. It also puts me at the outside edge of what I can do with my Surface Pro 3.  I plug in the Surface Pro 3 at breaks, and that’s a drag.
    If the Surface 3 behaves like its predecessors then I should be able to leave the anchor behind.
  • Charging: Surface 3
    Finally I can charge a Surface with micro USB chargers. That means that I should be able to use readily available battery packs and phone chargers or use my Surface charger with other devices.
  • Size: Surface 3 ?
    It’s hard to know until I get my hands on Surface 3. The aspect ratio is the same as Surface Pro 3, and I really like that and from what I’ve read I expect that it will be easier to manage in one hand while I’m writing or sketching with the other.
    Surface 3:          267.0 x 187.0 x 8.7 mm
    Surface Pro 3: 292.1 x 201.4 x 9.1 mm

The principle complaint I’m seeing in the reviews is the cost.

I think that the most expensive device is the one you don’t use. Second to that is a device that you need to supplement with another one.

I could use a Surface 3 for a lot things that I do every day. It looks like it will handle my most frequently challenging application (walking around while talking, writing) for hours at a time. And finally free of the nagging concern about battery life, this could be a great device for me.

What do you think? Is there a Surface 3 in your future?