A new Pope, A New Hope? A look at how the Vatican took advantage of the Historic Resignation

This is in response to the external blog : http://web2.sys-con.com/node/2581205

Soo, with the historic  “Resignation” of Pope Benedict XVI , many normally indifferent Catholics and tourists are suddenly interested in the Vatican’s affairs and the culture/historical monument of the Catholic Church. Might as well take advantage of this historic moment to add more money into those coffers eh? Then again, businesses are also taking advantage..

Yes, you heard right. Pope key chains, flags,  mugs, t-shirts being in high demand with the first Pope from Latin America. These Pope merchandises are being sold along side star icons such as Bob Marley and Mcjagger. Really now.

As a kid, I remember my fellow classmates expressing their fantasies of one day becoming.. the president, the prime minister, a police chief, a pop (rock) star, firefighter, pilot, doctor, or astronaut. I have NEVER heard of ANYONE saying : ” When I grow up, I want to be the Pope ! 😀 ”  How interesting, to witness this historic moment and feel the joy of the people over the “election” of the new Pope. I mean, honestly, this should be a career path that should be taken more seriously : Who wouldn’t want to be the ruler of the Catholic world? Vatican City is officially a country as well.. soo in essence you would be a “president”.

Marketing is extremely important even in the Catholic world due to new social trends deviating away from archaic Catholic traditions. Coffers grow when there are more Catholics around the world, and right now, about 40% of the world’s Catholics reside in South America (as opposed to Europe).. so.. (demographics, geography market segmentation) why not have a Latin American Pope ? Breaks the status -quo (suggesting reformation and progressiveness) , shattering the preconceived notion that only European Cardinals can be Popes.

Now, if only they allowed WOMEN to be Popes. No? What about.. cardinals.. ? No? What about Archbishops? Still no? Bishops? Priests?! Well okay, good luck staying relevant in the 21st century discriminating against women. Then again, Catholicism wouldn’t be the first religion to do that, nor would it be the last.

Of course, (Catholic) women who may wish to obey the scriptures but insist on a more progressive course on Catholicism are finding ways to express their opinions. I can’t imagine how even 20 years ago, any business would dare to launch a Catholic Pope related pleasure toy for women and expect it to sell.

“Francis I may be against contraception, women priests, gay weddings and even sex before marriage, but so far he has said nothing about alarm clock vibrators worn in the panties.”

Finding loopholes, best to just relent on some obsolete traditions if I were running the Catholic Church.

Then again, maybe that’s why I’m not Catholic.

http://www.euronews.com/nocomment/2013/03/17/argentina-pope-francis-rivalling-bob-marley-and-mick-jagger/