So Now That It’s Been Two Weeks…

Posted by in Res Life

…Why haven’t you posted anything?

Let me just let everyone know right now: HP sucks. I don’t care if they used to be amazing, their printers and their laptops suck. My two month old laptop, after three trips over to HP for ‘fixing’, died on me within the first week of class. That’s my excuse for not posting and if it isn’t satisfactory than, damn it, you do not know the pain of having limited Internet access.

I swear, if my phone had decided to kick the bucket on me during that week, I would have straight up flipped a table and curled up to cry. No, I don’t care if the tables are attached to the walls. Anger will find a way.

Thankfully though, there wasn’t much work requiring a laptop during that second week. Even though all the professors had finished doing the thing where they scare the pants off you (seriously, 88% of your grade is based on three tests? Wonderful.), they kind of just start classes…and who wants to hear about that anyway? Classes are fifty minutes long each, short enough so that you don’t really get a chance to doze off just yet, but not quite long enough for the professor to really cover all the material. The lectures seem deceptively simple, the professors very enthusiastic about their topics and the textbooks…well, I find them a worthy replacement for Nyquil.

But pfft, whatever, who wants to hear about that? Everyone shares the same opinions about classes. Well, except not everyone. I’m very aware of this graph:

i cry evrytiem

Thus far, the first half of those graphs have proven right. Listening to my fellow Science major friends telling me all about their three-hour-labs and how much bloody homework they have makes me want to cry for them. While it seems like everyone is pouring over their books and drowning in tears of misery over the latest Math assignment, I’ve been kind of stealing cat naps and reading novels (mind you, they are required reading…they just happen to be very good).

I’m not bragging. I’m sure the pain will come back and haunt me once I get my $20, 000 certificate at the end of all this. Oh boohoohoo, another Arts major complaining about their less than stellar future career prospects. So much for being new, fresh and creative!

Wow, there seems to be a lot of self-deprecation and pessimism today, huh? I guess Sunday nights have that effect on people. I mean, it’s hard to be super optimistic when there’s classes to be had early next morning.

Maybe next time, I’ll dig up  my rose-tinted glasses and write about how wonderful the weather’s been in Vancouver. The sun’s been shining for almost two weeks straight now, with barely a puff of cloud in the sky. Unlike Alberta, hahaha, take that suckers.

For now, I’ll be signing off to crawl into bed and try not to think too hard about how the future will taste come four or five years. I have a feeling Buckleys and natto beans are going to have competition for being the worst tasting thing in the world.