Apple: Iphone vs. Ipod

The other day in class we discussed the possible internal opinions regarding the Iphone and Ipod. The argument was whether the Ipod would eventually be rendered obsolete to the Iphone. It was an interesting topic of conversation: Why would someone buy an Ipod and an Iphone? I don’t think they would. Why spend the extra money when you could just buy the Iphone to begin with? One students argument was that a parent may first buy an Ipod for their child, before an Iphone, so that they could test out the technology without having all of the power of an Iphone. I think that if that were the case a family wouldn’t want to spend money on both devices when they are so similar. The Ipod will eventually be phased out. The demand for a device that simply plays music is indeed obsolete to a device that can do almost anything (the Iphone) . The Iphone is basically an Ipod that can make phone calls, draw maps, and create recipes. I think that as the sales of the Ipod continue to fall that Apple should seek an alternative revenue stream. It should adapt to the market and create something entirely new, or continue to improve the designs that they already have in place.

http://ipod.about.com/od/decidingwhichipodtobuy/tp/Top-7-Differences-Betwen-The-Iphone-4-And-Ipod-Touch.htm