Assignment 1.1

Hello everyone!

My name is Joseph Um and I am a third-year student specializing in English, Language emphasis. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am juggling 3 days of full-time work and 3 other English courses this semester and thought an online course would allow me to be flexible with my schedule!

Also, I am interested in learning Canadian history through its literature.

Let me introduce myself to you all.

Despite being a Korean by blood, I grew up in Malaysia my entire life. I moved to Malaysia when I was six months old (so I don’t really say I moved there, my parents just brought me there) and grew up in a multi-cultural environment. I’ve made friends from around the world during my school years in an international school in Malaysia. I was always interested in learning the histories of countries around the world, but I rarely had the chance to learn Canadian history, even more through literature! Hence the reason why I decided to choose this course so that I can delve myself into Canadian history through literature.

As most of you would know, Korea was a colony of Japan from 1910-1945. Our nation suffered the inhumane practices of Japan and fought for our freedom until 1945. However, scars from the war between the two countries still remain to this day. These scars can be neglected by the oppressing country and it can be forgotten through time. However, literature has the power that stops these little things from being forgotten. This is why I am so eager to learn more about indigenous Canadian history through the lens of literature because of the remnants of indigenous culture still existent in Canada up to this day.ย  It may provide aspects of history that could have been easily neglected or forgotten.

I expect to learn more about Canadian history and its cultures through literature and I am really excited about it.

It is my first time blogging and am still awkward with the system but I hope to make the most out of this learning experience. ๐Ÿ™‚

See you guys real soon!

Shoji, Hiroka. โ€œWhy the ‘Comfort Women’ Issue Still Matters, 70 Years Later.โ€ย The Diplomat. James Pach, 19 June 2018. Web. 14 Jan. 2020.

Huang, Alice. โ€œTotem Poles.โ€ย indigenousfoundations. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2020.

Map of Indigenous People of Canada. Reddit. Web. 13 Jan. 2020.

7 Thoughts.

1. Hi Joseph,

Several other students have drawn comparisons between Japan and Canada in relation to their treatment of Koreans and the indigenous, respectively. What similarities and differences do you see between the two? As an American the history of Japanese colonialism in mainland Asia is one that is easily overlooked so I’d value your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Cooper

• Hi Cooper!
      One of the biggest similarities in my opinion would be Koreans, and the native people of Canada, losing their home and their land to another power. But also, the differences would be that in our case we have complete independence from colonization and is considered to be home in their land but the native people of Canada are still in the progress of getting what is rightfully their back to them.

• Hi Cooper, thanks for your comment – but please note: “Koreans and the indigenous, respectively.” Indigenous needs a capital, just like Koreans and Canadians. It is a sad reflection of the power of the colonizing narrative that this is such a common error to begin. Thanks, Erika

2. Hey Joseph! I enjoyed reading your blog. I am international student too and I can relate to what you are saying in many ways. Even though I am from Ethiopia โ€“ the only African country that is no colonized โ€“ there has always been the western influence on how history is written in the country. The most powerful references of the history of Ethiopia are kept in literature, music and arts in churches and traditional communities. I believe the same goes for the Aboriginal society. However, there are a lot of political agenda in Canada that stops these stories from coming to light. That is why I am excited about this course. I think we will have tools that will allow us to explore resources available to study the history which I think is very important (specially for newcomers like us).

There is also the notion of putting racialized immigrates and Aboriginal people in the same bucket because they are both marginalized groups who are facing similar socio-economic challenges such as unemployment, poor health care etc. Even though these two groups have a lot similarity in the quality of life, I think this notion neglects the history behind the First Nations and the fact that they were the original settler. What are your thoughts on that? That is a little deviated from what you said in your blog but I am curious if you have noticed that when you came here.

• Hi!
      I have been noticing it ever since I started studying in Canada. I have always felt bad for the indigenous people here because they were displaced from their home land and forced into other territory. Even though Canada is trying to, or has been trying to, compensate for the wrongdoings of their ancestors, I have always gotten into a dilemma about the whole matter because before the settlers forced the natives out and build their own buildings and what not, and the infrastructure of the city has gotten to the point where we simply just can’t give them back their land. Hence the acknowledgment of the ancestral lands of the native people began. But still I have always felt really ambiguous about the whole matter and am excited to learn more about it through this course!

3. Hi Joseph,
    It’s unfortunate to hear of the suffering that Korea has been through and I’m glad you use your heritage as a positive outlet pushing you forward in learning about new things such as the history and culture of the indigenous people of Canada. I believe that your knowledge on the history of oppression in Korea (Eastern society) will bring an additional perspective into our discussions about the indigenous people in Canada (Western society), and I hope to hear from you!
    Cheers,
    Alan

• Hi Alan!
      Korea has gone through 35 years of oppression and even to this day Japan seems to neglect their wrongdoings even with historical evidence, or even with literature! But with my heritage I think I will be able to relate to Canadian literature, more specifically indigenous literature, better as a person of Korean heritage since I have learned and know a lot about the suffering of my people.