Why did Korean choose this course?

Hello,Everyone!

I am delighted and excited to be in this class. When I first saw the syllabus and asked me to introduce myself, I thought, wow, what a piece of a cake. But after I saw other students stories, I am kind of nervous about introducing myself. As you all expected, let me briefly introduce myself and tell you why I choose this class.

Maybe some people can see my name and expect that I’m from Korea. Five years ago, I decided to come to Canada based on my parents’ decision. Then I started to google the information about Canada. Surprisingly, I figured out Ottawa is the Capital of Canada. Then I confused and told my friends, “what is wrong with about Vancouver and Toronto? What is that city so famous for?”

The reason I chose this class is simple. I want to learn some Canadian History through literature. Because I think literature has the power, to tell the truth about history. My country, Korea, faced Japanese colonization, and until this day, we are dealing with their repercussions. Canada, with a similar history, wonders how those difficulties are embedded in literature. When I think of Canada, I can only think of positive things, and the image of mosaic country.Canadian Mosaic

I have never read literature written from the perspective of indigenous people. So I wonder if the descendants of European immigrants, who now make up the vast majority of Canada, have banned and suppressed literature, including parables, as Japan did in Korea. I would also like to accumulate knowledge through the literature on how the descendants of European immigrants who always apologize look to Indigenous people.

I’m not a writer or a person who enjoys writing. And because I still haven’t immersed myself in Canadian culture, my writings will have those cultural barriers. But I would like to learn more about Canada by discussing with students through this course.

Oi, Mariko. “What Japanese History Lessons Leave Out.” BBC News, BBC, 14 Mar. 2013, www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21226068.

An, Sonjae. “A brief history of Korean literature.” British Council, 14, Mar. 2014, https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/brief-history-korean-literature.

8 thoughts on “Why did Korean choose this course?

1. jade greer

Hi Juyeon,

I really enjoyed learning a bit about you from this post! I’m interested to learn more about the history of the colonization of Korea and how it compares to the colonization of Canada.

I agree with you that literature is one of the best ways to learn about another culture. To me, it is extremely important for people to tell their own stories. Something I have learned in Canadian history is that settlers tried (and continue to try) to erase Indigenous history through myths. For example, Christopher Columbus and his ‘discovery’ of a nation even though it was already inhabited by Indigenous people. Still to this day many Canadians look at this discovery as a victory, when actuality it was the beginning of hundreds of years of genocide. Certain literature, specifically Indigenous literature, however, can rethink these myths the nation of Canada tells itself and ask us what Canada is really built upon.

I’m excited to read your future posts!

-Jade

1. JuneRoh Post author

Hello Jade!

I agreed that still to this day not only the Canadians but also the people from colonial rule country, discover colonization as a victory. They thought colonization is not only helping their country but also helping the country who faced colonization. To be honest, I don’t know what to say. My country is still dealing with Japanese, about comfort women, text book controversy, etc. And I think in indigenous people’s view point, canada won’t be different from Japan.

What do you think?

-JuYeon Roh

2. JosephUm

Hi Ju Yeon,
    As a Korean myself I read about Korea’s sufferings available through the web.
    My question is, what is your opinion on Japan’s stance on continuing the ongoing controversies despite the clear historical fact that Dokdo is of Korean territory?
    Looking forward to hear what you have to say! 🙂

1. JuneRoh Post author

Hello Joseph!

It is nice to see another Korean in English 372!
      Korea always was and is in inferior positions. Despite the clear historical fact that Dokdo is Korean territory, we (Korean) could not politically argue about this issue. After the rapid economic growth rate of Japan, the financial difference makes let Japan take advantage of public diplomacy (Japan is in G7, while Korea is still in G11.). Due to this fact, only private individuals are arguing that Dokdo is Korean territory to avoid this case to the international court of justice. As a Korean, sadly, it is hard to say what will be the future of the Dokdo island. If you know about the UNIQLO boycott movement that is taking place in Korea because of UNIQLO’s remarks, aren’t these movements bringing Koreans together to solve problems like Dokdo?
      What do you think?

-JuYeon Roh

3. MeganCameron

Hello!

I loved learning a little bit about you from your post! Not that it is as big of a jump as you, but I spent some time away from home living in Orlando Florida, and even though it does not seem all that far away the culture was still so different! I admire your courage for coming here! I completely agree with what you said regarding literature being one of the best ways to learn about a culture, I am looking forward to this component of the class too and I was born in Canada! I think that hearing history from an indigenous perspective is extremely important when it comes to understanding Canadian history!

I look forward to having class with you!

Megan Cameron

1. JuneRoh Post author

Thanks so much for your comment and for all that you articulated! It is never easy to live away from home! However, I hope I could have a new life in Canada!

I am also looking forward having class with you!

JuYeon Roh

4. SarahAfful

HI JuYeon!
    I would first like to thank you for your candor and openness. I look back at my blog entry and I realize that I could take a lesson from you in that respect. I am originally from Ghana West Africa, but a first generation Canadian. I have often felt close to Indigenous peoples because we share the role of “other” in Canada. We are both victims of Colonization. What I find so heartbreaking and so tricky to maneuver when finding common ground, is that for Indigenous people, their colonizer is still here. Their colonizer came and never left and is a constant reminder of the atrocities that happened and still happen. Descendants of Europeans I feel have a great task ahead of holding the guilt of their ancestors and also constantly checking their entitlement. What do you think?

1. JuneRoh Post author

Hello, Sarah!
      Thank you for sharing your background! I also think holding the guilt of their ancestors is vital for relationship recovery. However, If someone asks me how long do they have to apologize, well, I don’t know. If all of our ancestors, who suffered from colonization pass away, can they stop it? Or is it something that they have to do until their country exists?