“Kinect technology lets shoppers try on virtual clothes”

This blog post contains my thoughts and commentary on Francine Kopun’s article in the Toronto Start entitled “Kinect technology lets shoppers try on virtual clothes”.

Summary:

In this article, Kopun discusses a new product called Swivel, which combines Xbox Kinect technology and other patented systems to create a “virtual change room”. Swivel is designed for a customer to stand in front of a mirror-like screen and from there, he/she can choose what product they would like to try on. Instead of physically putting on different outfits, Swivel projects an image of the customer wearing the selected product.

Swivel

A customer trying on a virtual purse

Disruptive Innovator or Cool Idea? 

One of the last disruptive innovations in the clothing industry was the creation of online shopping. In order to stay competitive, all major clothing retailers had to adjust their operations to include a forum where consumers could buy online. The reason I have brought up the example of online shopping is to compare it to what Swivel has brought to the table. It’s true that Swivel carries a certain uniqueness and provides services that can significantly speed up the shopping experience, but I don’t think it will have as big of an impact on this industry as something like online shopping. My reasoning is that if someone doesn’t want to take the time to try on clothes, they probably don’t want to take the time to go shopping either. I think the reason people go into stores to shop is so that they can not only see what they would look like in an outfit but also how it feels on their body. That being said, Swivel not being able to simulate how clothing feels is the major reason why I don’t think the industry will adopt this innovation.

Moreover, I believe this system is ineffective because of the clothing industry. I think that the shopping experience has almost reached a point of saturation as far as the addition of current technology. I think this is because of extreme variance of consumer preferences and body shape.

Going forward, I think Swivel is a intriguing idea and can be a good thing for large companies to have in a few of their largest stores to attract consumers. But on a large scale, I can’t see it being practical for clothing companies to incorporate this new technology into their operations because I don’t beleive the practice of trying clothes on can be effectively replaced, at least not with the current technology.

Swivel2

Women trying on virtual Dress using Swivel.

Article Link

Image sources:

http://mashable.com/2011/03/01/online-shopping-apps/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwUa14mNNhY

10 thoughts on ““Kinect technology lets shoppers try on virtual clothes”

1. We specialize in family wood signs, family shirts, funny kitchen signs, car stickers and much more! If you have a wedding coming up we have gift ideas for that. A new baby or grandbaby on the way, we have adorable custom onesies. Located in London, Ontario, we are here to help you find what you are looking for!

2. Introducing our homegrown brand Dorji. Dorji is a Melbourne-based clothing brand. We here at Dorji strive hard to bring you the best quality clothes with reasonable prices. ‘Your comfort is our priority’, with this motive in mind Dorji was founded at the end of 2020. We aim to provide different variants of fashionable attire to regular Australians. Fashionable but affordable and accessible to all Australians nationwide. Our collections have numerous clothing options for all genders and age groups. Welcome to Dorji Australia.

3. Introducing our new homegrown brand Dorji. Dorji (Bangla word) means your next-door tailor. Dorji is a Melbourne-based clothing brand. We here at Dorji strive hard to bring you the best quality clothes with reasonable prices.

4. Abie’s Dress Fabrics has been a preferred supplier of a collection of hand-picked fashion fabrics since 1992. Our clients from around South Africa and neighbouring countries have been enjoying superb products and unparalleled service at fantastic prices as we have secured long term business relationships with great people for almost three decades.

5. Royal Sircle is a clothing brand company aspiring to make an impact on health and well-being not just by the feeling of wearing our products, but by the redistribution of earnings back into those in need. Our goal is to make a positive impact on those who are marginalized by assisting in efforts to provide equity in sustainable resources.

6. ROY G. is the color spectrum personified. we celebrate individuality and the creative sprit. We are vibrant and playful and not afraid to stand out. We believe that comfort leads to confidence and that color makes the world a better place.