Twitter IPO: The Success Facebook Only Dreamed Of

Twitter’s IPO debut date has come and gone, and with it, a whirlwind of success. The company, who was once heavily questioned about the sustainability of it’s revenue channels, is now valued at $29 billion. This new capital has, as Michael Liedtke and Barbara Ortutay so elegantly described it, has “Silicon Valley start-ups salivating.” Over the past few month’s Twitter has been in many of us Sauder student’s minds and hearts, and heavily integrated into the Comm 101 lectures.  We have seen this company overcome the many doubts regarding it’s potential profitability and the daunting shadow left by Facebook’s failed IPO and ensuing mess.

As my classmate Priyanka mentioned, pre-IPO Twitter was working on creating more sustainable methods of attracting a larger amount of users, including modifying their site to more conveniently serve their consumers.  I believe that Twitter deserves all the recognition they are receiving and more. They has successfully overcome a challenge many of their peer companies have failed at.  I’m curious to see what Twitter will do over the next year or more with this newly acquired capital.  If I was working for Twitter, I would strive to continue to develop apps similar to Vine. With this large influx of money, Twitter can take the world by storm.