Doritos JACKED!

by Kaylee Astle on May 9, 2012

As many know, this past semester I have had the opportunity to work with an incredible organization called CampusPerks. I have also been able to team up with Doritos to help bring their new flavour JACKED to the University of British Columbia campus. Last week, they helped me throw an incredible event and we made a video to capture the activities. Ultimately, I am hoping to make this video go viral, because if I do, I have the opportunity to win a scholarship!

{ 0 comments }

BlackBerry & Telus

by Kaylee Astle on April 2, 2012

This year, I have realized why I love the Sauder School of Business. Not only am I getting an amazing education, but I have had some of the most incredible experiences. Whether I was meeting some of Canada’s leading entrepreneurs as Plenary Director of Enterprize, or I was helping to end youth homelessness as Co-Chair of 5 Days for the Homeless, I have truly gotten exactly what I was looking for at UBC. To imagine that I still have another year to complete! Along with these involvements, some great experiences emerged.  I had the opportunity to become involved with CampusPerks, an incredible organization that showcases student leaders from across Canada. CampusPerks provided me and my team with the opportunity to make 1,000 sandwiches for individuals on the Downtown Eastside, and I ended up raising $1,500 through the event! What’s even more incredible is that I am now part of an amazing program called Be Bold, with BlackBerry and Telus. This program has truly taught me how to be a leader in my community, as I was able to help plan a Basketball event presented by BlackBerry (I even gave away a BlackBerry Bold 9900 to a lucky winner!), and I got to make an amazing video for BlackBerry and Telus found here. So what exactly am I saying? I’m saying thanks to all the amazing people and organization’s that I have gotten to work with this year, including BlackBerry, Telus and CampusPerks!

Oh wait… There’s more!!! A little bit of information on our favourite carrier, Telus!

Telus

$49.99 (3 year term with any $50 plan)

•     BlackBerry® BoldTM 9900

$0.00 (3 year term with any plan)

•     BlackBerry® CurveTM 3G
•     BlackBerry® CurveTM 9360
•     BlackBerry® CurveTM 9380

$0.00 (3 year term with any $50 plan)

•     BlackBerry® BoldTM 9780    
•     BlackBerry® BoldTM 9790
•     BlackBerry® TorchTM 9810
•     BlackBerry® TorchTM 9860
Koodo (A Telus affiliate)
•$0.00 BlackBerry® CurveTM 3G
•    $10/month – Unlimited BBM, Unlimited Text Messaging and Call Forwarding
•    $15 off BlackBerry Connect data add-ons for 90 days making the 100MB plan free
Thanks for all the support!

{ 0 comments }

The World of Marketing

by Kaylee Astle on March 30, 2011

For my final blog, I wanted to reflect on my journey through the course. Before starting the class, I assumed marketing was simply the way business professionals advertised their products.

I can honestly say that I have come a long way since thinking that.

A great deal of my learning came from lectures, when Elaine would enthusiastically explain marketing concepts. However, I believe more of my growth occurred outside of the classroom, where I was able to apply my new found knowledge to real world examples. This course encouraged me to look beyond the superficiality of advertisements and analyse what the marketer was trying to accomplish. This analytical logic prevailed throughout the semester, as I captured many photos that I thought were relevant to the course.

The first two pictures I snapped at Starbucks, while getting my morning dose of caffeine. I realized that all of the menu boards had changed, and that Starbucks had introduced a new line of sugary treats. Starbucks had also just released their newly branded logo. I believe these pictures embody multiple concepts discussed this semester including brand awareness, repositioning, and new product lines.

I took this picture at a Vancouver Giants game, where I was instantly drawn towards the mini-blimps giving away free prizes. As I was staring at them, I realized what a brilliant marketing tactic it was, since the whole crowd was staring at these Alaska Airlines branded blimps.

I think that the greatest piece of knowledge that I took away from this course was the idea that marketing is all around us. These are just a few examples of the many pictures I took this year, however they exemplify how marketing has influenced the way I perceive things in my everyday life.

{ 0 comments }

The Best Part About Marketing

by Kaylee Astle on March 22, 2011

I must admit something… Before I started marketing, I truly thought the subject was all about the innovation of catchy campaigns, witty commercials and funny advertisements. Well, let me say I have come a long way since that thought passed through my mind. Now when I think of marketing, SWOT tables, pricing strategies and situation analyses flash through my head.  However, I still think that the promotional side of marketing is by-far the most interesting. Who wouldn’t want to sit at a desk and dream up crafty ways to sell a product?

Okay, maybe there is a bit more to promotion then dreaming up these ideas. Marketers have to keep in mind the various factors that influence promotions, consumers, and the communication process. One model that influences this is the AIDA model. When watching a commercial, the average consumer doesn’t see past the superficialities of the advertisement. As a marketing student, I have started to see past this, and have learned to analyze a commercial.  In the AIDA model, there are four particular steps in moving a consumer towards action

Awareness is the first of these four steps. The following Subaru Forrester commercial is a great example of awareness, it starts off by catching the consumer’s attention with the “sexy” sumo wrestlers, and it informs consumers of the availability of this new and improved vehicle.

YouTube Preview Image

Interest is the second step in moving a customer towards action. I can’t think of a better example of an interest-sparking commercial than a movie trailer

YouTube Preview Image

Desire. Have you ever seen a commercial and then immediately wanted the product? Is it usually food? Whenever I think of a truly enticing commercial, the Carl’s Junior commercials come to mind. A thick, juicy burger being munched on by a hot celebrity ignites desire in anymore.

YouTube Preview Image

Action is the final step in the AIDA process. A great example of “action” is when the commercial causes a stir and tempts people to talk about the product. As I discussed a few weeks ago in a blog post, Miracle Whip did this by insulting their product in their own commercials!  

YouTube Preview Image

{ 0 comments }

Capitalizing on the Consumer

by Kaylee Astle on March 16, 2011

While reading Catalina Verna’s blog “Advertising through Bags”, I was immediately captivated by other ways that companies capitalize on promotional mediums by using their consumers as walking billboards.  

I echo Catalina’s point in that firms use their customers as advertisements, helping to bring awareness and recognition to their brand. Lululemon is a perfect example of this “fashionable bag” trend that Catalina described. Ever since they have been making reusable shopping bags, Lululemon has turned their eco-friendly bag into a trendy style that people take to the gym, school or on a trip to the mall.

Source

This is a brilliant marketing technique, because these bags can been seen almost anywhere in Vancouver, and they successfully promote the Lululemon brand.

The Starbucks cup is another way that consumers unknowingly promote a brand. Carrying a Starbucks cup has become more of an accessory than anything, thus benefiting this coffee giant. Whether you’re a student grabbing your morning coffee or a hot celebrity toting your baby around New York (check out this article, apparently Suri loves her Starbucks), by carrying the Starbucks cup, you are promoting the brand.  

Britney Spears

Source

A final way that some (non-clothing) companies have benefited through this type of customer-promotion is by creating “fashionable” clothing. Constantly I see people sporting shirts branded by companies such as Coca-Cola:

I know a lot of people who won’t wear brand names or labels on their clothing because they don’t want to be a walking billboard, however they probably don’t realize that the Starbucks frapuccino they are carrying completely contradicts their principles.

{ 0 comments }

Controversial Marketing: is it a bad thing?

by Kaylee Astle on March 9, 2011

In this viral day and age, people are moving at such a quick speed, marketers must find a way to attract consumers’ attention, even if it’s just for a minute.  Every day we see examples of a half nude individual, selling not only a product but essentially their body:

Source

However, what about the other types of controversial advertising that we are constantly faced with? Take for instance, the following ad, produced by American Apparel, a company notorious for their sexually and (sometimes) racial advertisements:

Source

The advertisement is an ignorant portrayal of an African American woman, suggesting that she is no more than her full-lips and “sweeter than candy” demeanor.

A company that is no stranger to controversial marketing is EA Sports. Recently, they launched an ad campaign in which they subjected mothers to the horrifying violence of their video game “Dead Space 2”. EA then used these women’s reactions in commercials to promote the company.

YouTube Preview Image

Additionally, back in 2009, EA paid fake picketers to protest against “Dante’s Inferno”, in order to market the video game. EA, along with hundreds of other companies, has recognized how successful any type of publicity can be.

During the 2011 Superbowl, Groupon aired their first ever commercial which suffered a substantial amount of backlash for being offensive:

YouTube Preview Image

The most controversial marketing ongoing right now is Charlie Sheen’s manic rampage. Although he has because an infamous Hollywood face, I must question whether this will benefit him or hinder him? As they say, there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

Although the topic of unethical or controversial advertising has not been discussed in our marketing class, I believe it is a very important discussion to have. I believe there is a fine line between producing a risky commercial (Groupon) or simply being clearly offensive (American Apparel) and it’s a marketer’s responsibility to recognize when they have crossed the line. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for an attention-grabbing, risqué advertisement. Additionally, I believe that advertisers must take risks in order to spark conversation around their product, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of a particular ethnic group, gender, or sexual orientation.

{ 0 comments }

The Costs of Being Healthy

by Kaylee Astle on March 6, 2011

Browsing through various Comm296 blogs, I came across Lauren Nipp’s blog. Her most recent posting describes Tim Horton’s current transition into the smoothie market.

Source Link 

In the posting, Lauren describes how Tim Horton’s has successfully segmented a group of consumers looking for coffee and tea beverages at a low price. Additionally, Lauren effectively recognizes the company’s primary target markets. Lauren has done a great job at identifying class concepts such as STP and brand extensions and combining them with what is currently happening in the market.

Tim Horton’s expansion into the smoothie market is similar to Blenz’s recent production of protein shakes. Blenz found a hole in their positioning map, and jumped on the opportunity to provide a healthy protein shake, bursting with high quality products.  However, they key difference between Tim Hortons and Blenz is their prices and quality. As George Moen described last Friday at a keynote speech he made, Blenz is unable to provide their beverages at a price as low as Tim Hortons because their quality of goods is significantly high. He has also said “We’re responding to the market’s demand for a healthy meal alternative, and we’re excited that we can do so while maintaining our high standards of delicious, authentic, natural and handmade beverages with top quality ingredients.”

Source Link

Both instances are prime examples of companies in the same industry with different focuses.

As Lauren described in her post, Tim Horton’s positioning statement would be “a reasonably priced coffeehouse company that also provides healthy alternatives.”

Conversely, Blenz would likely have a position statement such as “a superior coffee company providing various beverage alternatives that are made using the highest quality ingredients.”

{ 0 comments }

Whipping up Some Conversation

by Kaylee Astle on February 24, 2011

The average consumer is used to hearing commercial testimonials about how great a product is: “ProActive got rid of my acne in less than a week!”

However, Miracle Whip triumphs many other advertisers by taking a completely different approach and doing the unthinkable: criticizing their own product. Having just launched a new viral campaign this week, Miracle Whip’s commercials use testaments from “haters” and “lovers” of the brand including the likes of D-list celebrity Pauly D from Jersey Shore. In the commercial, Pauly D says “I hate Miracle Whip. Like, I hate Miracle Whip so much that if I had a girlfriend that liked Miracle Whip, it’s a deal breaker.”

YouTube Preview Image

Source www.youtube.com

Although this is a risky move for Kraft, as the campaign could provoke more negative attention then wanted, I think this is an innovative way to market a product.  This isn’t the first time Miracle Whip has stirred up discussion. A few years ago, on the Colbert Report, even Steven Colbert picked up on the Miracle Whip craze by mocking Kraft’s campaign. The fact that a sandwich spread can cause so much conversation proves this is an effective marketing campaign.

Source: http://bargainbriana.com/1-miracle-whip-printable-coupon/

Miracle Whip has positioned itself as a tangy, exotic spread that “isn’t mayo and isn’t for everyone.”  The campaign aims to attract new consumers using their current product, a strategy we all know as “market development”.  I think that Kraft’s current campaign strongly positions themselves in a consumer’s mind as a bold product, and it compels non-users to try Miracle Whip.

Personally, when it comes to Miracle Whip, I’m a hater of the product, but a lover of the campaign.

{ 0 comments }

Groupon: Doing it Right

by Kaylee Astle on February 9, 2011

For a company who is projected to be the fastest company to make 1 billion in profits, Groupon is the quintessential example of using social media to your advantage.  Whether you have purchased a discount ticket at the Whistler Bungee Jump, or a cheap haircut from a chic downtown salon, people would be crazy not to take advantage of most of their deals. Phil Wainewright describes Groupon’s success in his article and I must agree with Phil: clearly Groupon is doing something right.

YouTube Preview Image

Source: www.youtube.com

Now operating in over 50 cities, how did a once-small internet site turn into a booming coupon-giant in such a short amount of time? Groupon saw a hole in the market, and went for it.

I think Groupon’s biggest advantage is the way it segments the market. It targets both local businesses that are looking to expand their consumer base, as well as deal-hunting consumers.  Groupon then brings them together by offering one huge deal a day and charging a hefty premium to the business. The greatest part of Groupon’s strategy is that their consumers are nearly anyone with a credit card and internet access. This is because although Groupon is providing the same service, the benefits of these services change daily, allowing for a broad consumer market.

Why didn’t I think of doing that?

YouTube Preview Image

Source: www.youtube.com

I think Groupon is a brilliant idea, and it’s clear that many other people do too, as a variety of other discount-offering sites such as “Swarm Jam” and “Daily Deal” have popped up. These successful services are perfect examples of how successful it can be to harness the power of social media.  

Fact: Since writing this blog post, Howard Schult, the chief executive of Starbucks has taken a seat on the Groupon Board of Directors.

{ 0 comments }

Change: For the Better

by Kaylee Astle on February 2, 2011

Juggling between reading my marketing book and finding an appealing concept to blog about, I stumbled upon the following article:

Hudson’s Bay Revamping Restaurants at 24 Locations

Having just read about Coca-Cola’s efforts to expand their empire, many of Hudson’s Bay and Coca-Cola’s actions paralleled each other.  

As the textbook explains, Coke wanted to create a product that didn’t coerce men away from the “diet” stigma of Diet Coke, so they created Coke Zero, a more masculine, aspartame-infused drink. Similarly, in the revamping of Hudson’s Bay, the company is trying to rebrand itself as a more upscale department store.

With the recession in the past and the purchasing power of consumers increasing, Hudson’s Bay has timed this renovation skilfully, however is the company trying to capitalize on the growing purchasing power of their current customers, or are they targeting a new market of Canadians?

Reading through the Globe & Mail article, it appears as if the retail-giant is attempting to maintain their current customers, while attracting people with different, more expensive tastes. Additionally, through the renovation of even their in-store restaurants, they can appeal to a crowd that is simply interested in a relaxed, yet chic meal.

In my opinion, change is great and as a consumer I am attracted to anything that is new-and-improved. Nevertheless, I believe that any company that is attempting to re-establish itself must be careful not to cut ties between what it is and what it wants to be.  

Although I don’t think Hudson’s Bay will be on par with Saks anytime soon, I believe that this direction is the right one for the retailer to take.

{ 0 comments }