Representation with a Smile

Our world would not function properly without the assistance and guidance of lawyers – they are essential to ensuring justice in our society. However, with hourly rates ranging from $150 – $700, many people who are in need of a lawyer, are unable to afford one. Donna Peel, a former attorney with the US Department of Justice, found a solution to help provide free legal assistance to those in need; In This Woman created the Uber of Legal Aid featured in Forbes.com, contributor Riva Richmond showcases Peel’s entrepreneurial innovation through her creation of the ProBono Network. Peel identified a key problem and found a viable solution in 2011. “PBN runs on donations and a very lean budget of only about $120,000 a year. Given attorneys easily charge $300 an hour, you could say Pro Bono Network provides millions of dollars in services to the community.” Peel’s idea behind the business model was initiated by the number of hours she spent each day commuting as a volunteer attorney resulting in very little quality time with her family. The PBN model encompasses maximum flexibility; PBN works closely with other legal aid firms to adapt programs to fit within schedules of stay-at-home parents. PBN has attracted more than 200 attorneys, “close to 90 percent of these are women and one-third are stay-at-home moms, all of whom do pro bono work when it fits in their schedule — kind of like a part-time Uber driver.” Among their successes, PBN’s attorneys have assisted 50 low-income debtors with pre-court counselling; 10 domestic violence victims attained orders of protection; through representing 115 incarcerated mothers in securing guardianships, 200 children have received benefits and other necessities, alongside many more happy endings. Susan, a PBN client expresses, “There was no possible way I could afford a lawyer and I doubt I would have been able to proceed with the Order of Protection. These two MADE THIS POSSIBLE. They gave me my freedom back. They allowed me to be able to get sleep at night and not look over my shoulder every single second…THANK YOU for being amazing individuals who are truly making a difference in this world. The world needs more people just like you”.

Several of my close friends and family members are lawyers and having worked alongside them for several weeks during work experience placements in Grade 11 and 12, becoming a lawyer has been something of great interest to me, for reasons such as these. As a lawyer, I could help others achieve justice; as Donna Peel describes, “They make a difference in situations that “can be, literally, life and death.”

However, lawyers are traditionally known to be aggressive, competitive and expensive. Many lawyers make significant salaries, yet, an article entitled “Why are lawyers so unhappy?” stated that 52% of lawyers describe themselves as dissatisfied, they work extremely long hours and are under continuous stress. What Donna Peel has created is an opportunity for lawyers to show compassion and “give back to their community” which gives them a sense of fulfillment beyond monetary gain. It’s a model that is clearly resonating: after only five years in business, Peel has seen exponential growth and success within the community, and is looking to expand.

In a rapidly changing world, opportunities to embrace a “sharing economy” are proving to provide meaningful reframing of traditional roles. The ProBono Network is a great example of innovation and disruption to fill a much-needed void in affordable legal counsel while simultaneously harnessing valuable talent that without this flexible option would otherwise be wasted. One can imagine that this ethical model could be used in virtually any industry with similar successful results.

Word count : 447

Article : http://www.forbes.com/sites/thestoryexchange/2016/05/02/this-woman-created-the-uber-of-legal-aid/#600da22a544b

Website: http://www.pro-bono-network.org

Additional Sources: http://www.lawyerswithdepression.com/articles/why-are-lawyers-so-unhappy/