Assignment 2:2 | The Terrifying but Beautiful Sea

The Terrifying but Beautiful Sea

Eleven of them raced through the brazen desert, with hooded lids and high strung dreams. As they tread, their feet became entrenched in the sand, each step becoming heavier and heavier. They had been forced into the desert because their homeland had been destroyed, but now they had to find a new way of living – one that would help them to start over. Rumor had it that within the desert lay a beautiful glass ocean, with its contents able to grant even the biggest demands.  

As they continued hand in hand, they came across a glistening blue body of water. Filled with delusion and thirst, they bent down with cupped hands, desperate for a taste. However, as their hands hit the surface, they were met with nothing but grains of sand.

The bunch sat at the water for days on end, puzzled as to how something so realistic could deceive them. As time ticked away, they became relentless. Luckily, they had just enough supplies to survive for the meanwhile. Regardless, they knew the one thing they needed was the ocean’s water. Something about their eager reflections in the bright blue sheen of the water reminded them of why they were in the desert in the first place – to fulfill their dreams.

Many days and nights passed, with them sitting around the ocean. There were many passersbys that came, telling the group stories about their time in the desert. Some of them were able to escape the blistering desert, seeking refuge in beach villages where cottages met the beautiful sea. These people donated clothes and other resources, wishing the group luck while they waited for their own water to materialize. Then there were the others – the passerbys who would walk back and forth for days at a time. The desert was their hell, and they were stuck in limbo, with nothing but their torn clothes and remnants of watery dreams.

During nights, the group of eleven delegated duties. While the younger ones continuously checked to see if the water was truly a mirage, the older ones would linger behind and cook meals using the resources gifted to them by the more fortunate passerbys. With their limited options, they made meals of rice and egg, or dumplings filled with luncheon meat. When the younger ones returned, they would gather together to eat and talk about their dreams. As they collected more materials, the meals became more elaborate, mixing traditional Asian cuisine with Western influences. Together over these meals, they would discuss their dreams and aspirations for the future, as well as dwell over the past.

Soon, they had made a home for themselves by the banks of the ocean, and the desert no longer seemed so barren. Nights also became balmy with the words and stories of the bunch, and they were sometimes joined by some of the passerbys, with whom they had begun to form strong friendships with. Eventually, they become comfortable in their new sand-filled home, and didn’t feel the need to continue checking the water.

One day, the youngsters decided to walk over to the ocean out of curiosity. As they dipped their hands in, they were met with the refreshing feeling of water between their fingers. Rejoicing, they called their older siblings over, and together, they all cupped their hands and took a sip.

***

I was inspired by the story of my family from my dad’s side. Although I’ve known this story all my life, it was recently brought to light once again because the Canadian Armed Forces did a feature video on my aunt. The immigrant narrative has always resonated strongly with me for this reason, and in my mind, the notion of entering a new land (a desert) in search of fulfillment (the sea) aligns with the idea of battling hardship. These two geographic parallels are from the song “Sea” by Korean boy group BTS (translated lyrics here). Home transcends a physical area; physicality is just an added bonus, yet one can make a feeling of home by surrounding themselves with the right psychological environment. For my family, it was a mix of both. They entered a new land, but in order to survive within it, they had to have the right mindset and adapt accordingly.

Forces, Canadian Armed, director. CAF Story | The Terrifying But Beautiful SeaYouTube, YouTube, 25 Jan. 2019, www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqiajhDLxA.

“Genius Translations – BTS – 바다 (Sea) (English Translation).” Genius, Genius Media Group Inc., 18 Sept. 2017, genius.com/Genius-translations-bts-sea-english-translation-lyrics.

NOAA. What is eutrophication? National Ocean Service website, https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/eutrophication.html, 10/05/17.

2 thoughts on “Assignment 2:2 | The Terrifying but Beautiful Sea

1. Hi Katrina,

I love the approach you took to this post. Many people (including myself) chose to take a more narrative approach to their short stories, so your story really struck me as interesting, and I was still able to discern your values of home from it without you having to speak directly about your own life experiences. I was just curious as to what you think the “right psychological environment” is exactly? Does it have to do with the people that surround you or maybe how you frame the situation you are in?

• Hi Cassie,

Thanks for your comment! In my opinion, the right psychological environment is subjective to the individual. For some, it may be the feeling of belonging and kinship, or being part of something greater than themselves. For more nomadic types, it could simply be the ability to recognize, grow from, and identify the inner self. Home fits differently for everyone, and their experiences and expectations largely shape their perception of the situations that they find themselves in.