Katy at UBC

My second year at UBC!

Katy at UBC header image 2

UBC Go Global

January 10th, 2012 by Katy

Hey all!

So I’ve been thinking about the Go Global program at UBC since first year, and the application deadline for exchange next year is drawing closer! (It’s January 18th I believe.) If you haven’t heard about Go Global, it’s an exchange program that UBC offers in conjunction with other Universities, where you can study there but pay UBC fees. This is great because it would be massively expensive to study anywhere else for a long period of time.

I’m thinking of doing the exchange program, where you basically can attend University at one of UBC’s many partner Universities. There are other programs that are available, such as Research Abroad, International Service Learning, Group Study Programs and the U21 Global Issues Program. I’ll be the first to say that I’m not too familiar with the U21 Global Issues Program because it appears to be relatively new, but on the website it says, “Take courses from seven of the world’s best universities without leaving UBC.” So it seems like you would be able to take these courses from UBC online, while getting the credit for it from another university. Don’t quote me on that. EDIT: I’ve just been told that it’s been around for at least 5 years, so it’s not that new!

Exchange: Where you can study abroad while paying UBC fees! You can visit the Partner University page about the Universities where you can study. Often this can be a little tricky, as credits from University to University do not transfer, so students going on exchange may have to do one or two extra semesters of school to graduate. Some other things to watch out for – make sure that the University you apply to takes students from your faculty, and also offers exchange in the term you want to apply for (Ex. Term 1/2.) Exchange is offered to students in their Third or Fourth years, but if you’re in Arts you can go in Second year as long as you have enough credits and are a full time student.

Co-op: I can’t find the webpage for this, but it’s similar to having an internship at an actual company while getting partial UBC credits. The best part about Co-op is that you’ll be paid, and I’ve heard about students going on Co-op getting hired by their company after they graduate! In the case I heard about, they not only offered her a job after graduation, but they also paid the rest of her tuition fees until she graduated. EDIT: Thanks to Lillienne for correcting me on this! Apparently Co-op does not count towards the 120 credits you need to graduate! See her comment below for more info about Exchange and Co-op.

International Service Learning: Volunteer abroad while gaining partial UBC credits. Places include Africa and Latin America!

Group Study Programs: In this program, you’ll be able to study abroad, but will be able to do so in the comfort of a group. This would be perfect for students who are shy, or if the area/topic you wish to study is not offered through the Exchange Program.

Research Abroad: Again, I’m not too familiar with this area, but it seems pretty self explanatory. This would look great on a resume and would also help you get some hands-on experience.

I hope this post was helpful, but if you’re stuck you can always visit the Go Global offices located in International House at UBC. Drop in services are available from 1-3pm Monday, and 10-12am Tuesday/Wednesday. Be sure to get there early because both times I’ve dropped in it’s been pretty busy.

Katy

x

Tags: 2 Comments

Leave A Comment

2 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lillienne Jan 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hi Katy,

Go Global is one of the best opportunities available at UBC and definitely one that more students should consider! Many don’t, thinking that it’s beyond their budget, but they don’t realize that Go Global has a lot of financial aid going that they should look into. Another option for students who aren’t sure about going away during the academic year is to think about a summer exchange, which is what I did way back when. (As a side note, U21 has been around for at least the last five years I’ve been here.)

Just a correction that I think is important for students to know:

I can’t speak for any of the other faculties, but the credits you get from Arts Co-op are additional ones that do not count towards your 120 credits required to graduate. Co-op is an additional program that you take on, with separate graduation requirements. (If you fulfil them, you get the Co-op designation on your transcript, and if not, you don’t. Failing to complete Co-op doesn’t stop you from graduating with the rest of your degree.)

That said, co-op is definitely something I encourage other students to think about, regardless of faculty. It gives you at least 12 months of valuable work experience, and for Arts students, allows you to explore a wide range of opportunities and narrow down potential career choices. You definitely build up your professional network, which does help in leading you to future career opportunities (though by no means guarantees it). Check out the Arts Co-op website for more info or come into the office (Buch C121)!

– an overly enthusiastic arts co-op kid

• 2 Katy Jan 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for correcting me about the Co-op information! For some reason I was so sure that Co-op students got partial credit for courses – I think my friend who is applying for Co-op told me that. Anyway, I’m looking into the Go Global financial aid but I’ve also been saving up for the last couple years for it!