2:1 The Long-Nosed Monster

Long-Nosed Monster

A long time ago when only Gitxsan walked the land of Gitanmaaxs, there was a monster that hunted them down and killed and ate them. Many of the Gitxsan warriors had set off to kill the Long-Nosed Monster who walked. They never returned. The Gitxsan lived in fear. They did not set off for their territories, afraid the monster would kill them.

One day a youngest son, whose four brothers had been killed by the Long-Nosed Monster, decided he would avenge their deaths. His mother, father, uncles, aunts, and cousins pleaded with him not to go, but the determined youngest son could not be persuaded to remain safe at home.

The youngest son prepared himself for the hunt. He drank and bathed in devils club tea and also washed himself in it. He slept in the four directions around the fire. He fasted and prayed. The youngest son took a smoking ember from the fire and placed it in his pack. Even as he set off into the forest, a small stream of smoke lingered behind him.

The youngest son journeyed to the lake where the monster lived. The Long-Nosed Monster was not home. The youngest son climbed a pine tree that cast its reflection into the water. He waited. Soon the Long-Nosed Monster returned home. He was in a bad mood. He had not found any Gitxsan to eat. The youngest son cleared his throat and started to sway back and forth on the tree. The Long-Nosed Monster saw the young man’s reflection in the water. He leapt in and started jumping back and forth, trying to catch his evening meal.

Soon the Long-Nosed Monster was wet and exhausted. The youngest son climbed down from the tree, took the smoking ember from his pack, and built a fire. “Come warm yourself,” he said. The Long-Nosed Monster stood near the flames, very pleased with the attention he was receiving. The youngest son put more wood on the fire.

“Come a little closer,” the youngest son coaxed. The Long-Nosed Monster moved a little closer. The youngest son built up the fire until the flames reached the treetops. “Come step even closer,” he urged the Long-Nosed Monster. “After all, you are so cold and wet.” The Long-Nosed Monster stepped right up to the fire and the youngest son pushed him into the raging flames.

From the roar of the fire, the youngest son heard the Long-Nosed Monster bellow, “You think you have killed me, but I will be back. I will haunt the Gitxsan every summer until the end of time.” And from the ashes flew hundred of little Long-Nosed Monsters who fly.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Before my na’a (grandmother) passed, I was able to find a book that had all of her childhood stories. As her health declined, I would sit next to my na’a and read her these stories. It brought light into her eyes and warmth into my soul. My most emotional and heartfelt memories are with my na’a and to have pleased her ears and heart with these stories was a pleasure. I took the time to memorize these stories and tell them to my baby niece. There are many different versions of this story, this being the most common. Every time I tell this story, I curse my ancestors for creating these tiny monsters. I hope you enjoyed the tale.

http://www.gitxsan.com/

http://www.linguistics.ubc.ca/research/Gitxsan_group

Youngest son looking for his vantage point.

One Comment

1. Yes, Kayla, I most certainly have enjoyed your story. Both of your stories: being able to tell your Na’a her stories must have been a wonderful experience for you, it touched my heart. Thank you.

I once met met Don Ryan, and heard him speak many times in the 80’s and 90’s’s when he was the chief negotiator for the Gitxsan people’s land claim, and I remember well the historic day, Oct 24, 1984, when Don made the announcement that: ”
    Thirty-five Gitxsan and 13 Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs file a statement of claim in the B.C. Supreme court in Smithers, B.C. stating that they have ownership, jurisdiction and self-government over their 58,000 square kilometres of traditional territory in the northwest part of the province.”
    A proud and very smart people who fought hard to turn around the injustices and destruction wrought upon them by the colonizers. And, a beautiful territory. Google Don Ryan, he is one of my heroes.