Response to Rachael Reddy’s Blog: “Can you hear that Success Bell ring?”

courtesy of google images

When reading through Rachael’s blog I wasn’t surprised to see an athlete as the head spokesperson for Bell’s “let’s talk” mental health initiative. Although Bell successfully diversifies spokespeople through musicians, comedians, and television personalities, it really hit home for me to see both Clara Hughes and the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team promoting this initiative.

As an avid athlete growing up I’ve experienced unbelievable amounts of pressure pushed upon me from coaches, family members, and teammates. Although after enduring a severe knee injury which will forever halt my performance as an athlete, I’m lucky enough to be one of the few who has not been emotionally damaged through such a negative experience. I couldn’t say the same for majority of my teammates, and too often I hear about professionals quitting due to depression.

Bells “let’s talk” initiative is brilliant as it shines a positive light on  athletes who have had mental problems and allows them to talk about their issues, spread the word on prevention, and encourages them to play the sport they love. It’s genius how Bell sponsors the Whitecaps FC, who then support an initiative through personal experience.

“Let’s talk” will benefit Bell substantially. Not only through short term donations  of $4,813,313, but in the long term Bell will increase customer retention by creating a community of supporters who see value in being part of this initiative. Instead of donating money via business to business, Bell had incorporated millions of phone owners to take part in this initiative, including THOUSANDS of UBC students. Since business’ typically want publicity out of donating, this creates a long term lasting impression in peoples’ minds about Bell. This is much more intelligent than making a one off payment everyone will forget days later.