3:2— Coyote Pedagogy

Margery Fee and Jane Flick consider something they call “Coyote Pedagogy” in their essay on the subversively educational experience of reading Thomas King’s Green Grass Running Water. What they mean by this phrase is the astonishing density of popular, historical, literary and First Nations-specific allusions that King packs into the text, as well as their unusual reliance on being spoken aloud to be revealed. King makes it a requirement for any reader with even a moderate interest in understanding what is really happening in the text to search outside of it for necessary background knowledge. But here I will explore how Coyote himself (I say “him” because of a lack of gender-neutral alternative) is the one learning in Green Grass Running Water.

King’s Coyote makes a pretty good student, engaged and always full of questions. In fact, Coyote doesn’t leave many narrative stones unturned as he listens to the teacher(s) who are explaining the stories of creation to him. He dives happily in to these stories and asks for repetition when required, although he is chided for “sitting on [his] ears” at times (King 100). At times, Coyote is a bundle of impulses with a keen eye for opportunity, be it of the fried chicken variety (“sometimes [my tongue] looks like a chicken”) (69) or vacations to Florida (100). He isn’t the quickest study with these stories, however, as following each of them, he makes some silly mistake in interpretation. He misinterprets the beginning of the story as the end, a happy ending with a clearly sub-optimal one, the location of the story, and finally the existence of multiple Coyotes beyond himself (you’d think he could at least pick up on the last point, considering that he had already heard of another Coyote, Old Coyote, in one of the stories). So maybe he doesn’t quite qualify as a top student with respect to learning stories.

We can compare the scholastic aptitude of Coyote with his fellow student, GOD. Coyote has highly active dreams; one of those “sad noise”-making Coyote Dreams jumps out of its proper place in Coyote’s mind, turning out to be a (self-styled) GOD (1). Although GOD joins Coyote in learning the creation stories, GOD doesn’t make a great student; he is a tad self-righteous about his way of understanding things, from the abominations suggested by talking trees (41) to his insistence on sticking with all those rules about who can eat or touch or say what in that garden (40). The alternative stories proposed by the four old Indians get to be too much for GOD, who jumps into the story he and Coyote are learning in order to set it to rights, never to spring out again. So much for GOD’s studentship!

So Coyote may not be the best student in terms of keeping creation facts straight in his head, but he does a pretty fine job of putting some of the principles of storytelling he learns into drastic action. From earthquakes and thunderstorms to surprise pregnancies, he more or less has the creation of dramatic narratives down pat, unlike other Coyotes out there. More subtly, he encourages a radically different viewpoint of the role of First Nations people in comparison with mainstream culture in his glee at the John Wayne role reversal scene in Bursum’s Entertainment Barn, and in his prankster attitude towards those who remain entrenched in a colonial viewpoint (Bursum and Sifton). Maybe this is Coyote’s lesson: we can all be distracted animals, but if we focus effort on our actions, we might end up with something meaningful in our hands. Telling the stories afterwards is a task that we can reserve for more experienced folks, who are better able to contextualize a particular story within a global framework.

I recently found this poem excerpt, Calgary, by P. K. Page, and include it here because it offers another perspective on education in Coyote’s prairies, and because I enjoyed it!

Calgary. The twenties. Cold, and the sweet melt of chinooks. A musical weather. World rippling and running. World watery with flutes. And woodwinds. The wonder of water in that icy world. The magic of melt. And the grief of it. Tears— heart’s hurt? heart’s help? This was the wilderness: western Canada. Tomahawk country—teepees, coyotes, cayuses and lariats. The land that Ontario looked down its nose at. Nevertheless we thought it civilized. Civilized? Semi. Remittance men, ranchers—friends of my family— public school failures, penniless outcasts, bigoted bachelors with British accents. But in my classroom, Canadian voices— hard r’s and flat a’s, a prairie language —were teaching me tolerance, telling me something. This vocal chasm divided my childhood. Talking across it, a tightrope talker corrected at home, corrected in classrooms: wawteh, wadder—the wryness of words!

Works Cited:

King, Thomas. Green Grass Running Water. Toronto: Harper Collins, 1993. Print.

Marsh, James. “James Bay Project.” The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada, 31 January 2011. Web. 12 March 2014.

Munroe, Randall. “Engineering Hubris.” xkcd. 12 March 2014.

Page, P. K. “Calgary.” The Walrus. The Walrus Foundation, March 2014. Web. 12 March 2014.

5 thoughts on “3:2— Coyote Pedagogy

1. Hi Miranda! @miranda12

I thought I’d mention a little more about this author since you enjoyed her poem. Born in England and raised in the Prairies, she currently lives in Victoria but has travelled globally with her husband, who was a diplomat. Some of her writing is published under a pseudonym, Judith Cape, and she presents paintings under her married name P. K. Irwin. Here’s some of her artwork.

And here is another poem by Page, evoking a couple of origin/creation themes (and a way of tying them in to the present day) that might sound familiar from Green Grass, Running Water.

Motel Pool

The plump good-natured children play in the blue pool:
    roll and plop, plop and roll;

slide and tumble, oiled, in the slippery sun
    silent as otters, turning over and in,

churning the water; or-seamstresses-cut and sew
    with jackknives its satins invisibly.

Not beautiful, but suddenly limned with light
    their elliptical wet flesh in a flash reflects it

and it greens the green grass, greens the hanging leaf
    greens Adam and Eden, greens little Eve.

Works Cited:

“P. K. Page: Biography”. Canadian Poetry Online, U of Toronto and U of Toronto Libraries, 2000. Web. 21 March 2014.

Page, P. K. “Motel Pool.” Canadian Poetry Online, U of Toronto and U of Toronto Libraries, 2000. Web. 21 March 2014.

“Works of Art by P. K. Page Irwin.” Trent University, n.d. Web. 21 March 2014.

2. Hi Keely, a really insightful and nicely expressed answer to my question – the way you parallel your analysis of Coyote and his dream character GOD as students of Coyote pedagogy is clever and witty and most revealing. Thank you. Great links too 🙂

3. Hi @Keelyhammond! I was led here by @erikapaterson since we both wrote our 3.2 posts on the Coyote and I must say, I greatly enjoyed your take on “him” – it was both entertaining and enlightening, so thank you very much.

In my own post, I suggested that the Coyote was both a healer and a trickster that guides the spiritual characters that you too have mentioned, into the realm of reality. It really seems like you and I both had a similar impression about the role of the Coyote in driving the mythology forward, just with a different perspective. Do you think Coyote had a plan from the very beginning for things (i.e. GOD’s actions with the four old Indians etc.) to end up the way they did? Or was he just simply trying to amuse himself within his own imagination and things simply fell into place as most creation myths usually do?

Thank you again for a great post!
    Edward.

4. Thanks for your comments and questions, @edwardleung! I just finished reading your blog entry, and it does seem like we had a lot in common in our interpretations. I particularly enjoyed your reference to the Simpson’s ‘Space Coyote,’ having never heard of it before!

I also appreciated your comment about how Coyote forms “bridges [between] the subconscious [and] actions.” To me, King’s Coyote seems to avoid the conscious thought process at all costs for most of the time, or at least he is determined to keep those thoughts to himself if he does have them. His (subconscious) dreams literally manifest themselves as actions, as in GOD’s case. So I suppose if Coyote does have a plan, he is keeping it under terms of very strict secrecy. More likely, though, he doesn’t plan ahead. Just as we must do in so many cases in everyday life (whether we like it or not), he rolls with the situation at hand and tries to inject it with some form of liveliness, whether it be a tasty chicken or an earthquake. I think part of Coyote’s job is to provide the unexpected detours and reversals in our life journeys. Even in science, we might see Coyote in the underlying stochasticity of many biological and physical processes. In general life, we might find him in both in the random good and bad things that happen to us, but also and equally importantly in how we deal with those events. Do we roll over and take them at face value, maybe trying a different approach than we were on previously to proceed? Or do we repeat our actions again and again, still intent on following one particular path, even when we don’t seem to be getting through in the right ways?

Hope that is an answer to your questions! Let me know if you have more thoughts to share 🙂