The enjoyable experience I had with COMM296

Marketing may not be the field I am striving for, but I sure had fun in this class doing the assignments with my marketing team. We first had to choose a company to make a marketing plan for. We chose Zara as our company because it is a company that the majority of our team personally use and enjoy, thus researching for this company was something intriguing.

The first assignment required a deep analysis of our company. Though a lot of writing and researching were involved, we got to learn much more about Zara than as simple consumers of their products. We discover how Zara distinct themselves from all their competitors; leading edge model of “fast-fashion” and no advertising. They design, manufacture, and deliver their new trendy products to their stores within weeks from the latest fashion show. I was unaware of all these interesting facts about Zara until I had to do this assignment.

The remaining two assignments were the beginning of all the fun experience I had with this project.  We had to choose our target segment and create a positioning statement for Zara – the beginning of our marketing strategy. I felt like we were making a real marketing plan that Zara can use.  This motivated me to put a lot of effort in making our Zara video. The learning process in both about Zara and the video editing program was really enjoyable. Unlike group projects for other courses, our meetings at the media lab were very interactive. We often kept tabs on each other, reviewed on our process, and tweaked the video effects bit by bit. Our marketing video was truly a team effort!