One’s thoughts about another one’s thoughts.

I came across Emily Tang’s blog post the other day about the launch of Sony’s PlayStation 4. I remember how much video game consoles has impacted and shaped my childhood. It all started when I got my first Nintendo 64 from Toys “R” Us. I would spend countless hours trying to beat Super Mario 64 with my brother. To this day, I still think Super Mario 64 is one of the most classic games out there along with Super Contra, Pac-man and the others. In terms of the Diffusion of Innovation theory, we were actually one of the early adopters (which represents 13.5% of all buyers in the market). Early adopters are crucial for the introduction of the product to the other three buyer categories after them (the early majority, late majority, and laggards). I experienced this theory first-hand because I remember telling all my friends about the Nintendo 64 and a few weeks later, they had purchased the console as well. At first, many people are hesitant about the performance of a new product (e.g. are there any bugs, does it overheat) but when they hear reviews from friends and trusted sources, they are more willing to try the product out for themselves. The customers belonging to the late majority can be thought of as more risk averse.

I feel that the PlayStation 4’s biggest threat is the direct competition it receives from the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft’s Xbox 360. Nintendo has many loyal customers and customers that are very nostalgic about Nintendo products since they grew up with Game Boys and Nintendo 64’s. Whenever Generation Y’ers think about console entertainment, or video games in general, they tend to associate with Nintendo. They have a strong affective connection with Nintendo’s products; Nintendo is not only in their retrieval set, but they also have found a spot in their evoked set. I am interested in seeing how the Playstation 4 will contend with the Wii U.