When Will My Reflection Show all the Marketing I’ve learned – Marketing Project Reflection

One of my favourite cars. (For best viewing experience, watch in HD)

In the beginning, I was very surprised that I was part of a team which consisted of only 4 people (all the other groups in the class had 5 team members in a group). At first, I thought we were disadvantaged in some way because all the work would be divided into 4 parts as opposed to 5. However, as we worked together as a team and go to know each other, we all agreed that a team of 4 was much more efficient and manageable. We could come to a consensus faster as a team as well as implement our plans faster and more efficiently. I really enjoyed working with Julian, Joyce, and Zoey.

I developed skills in filming and editing videos during the Marketing Mix Analysis portion of the group project. We had to pay attention to lighting, as well as product placement; every minute detail had to be addressed to create an engaging video which effectively presented the message to the audience. I was surprised at how many takes we had to do for just a small portion of the video. I can’t imagine how many takes they would have to do for a short scene in a Hollywood video.

Before I took this course, I thought marketing was a very “touchy-feely” type of topic. I thought that Marketing was just advertising on television and billboards. I used the terms interchangeably. However, after the first few classes, I learned that marketing is not just qualitative, but also very quantitative. I became more aware of all the marketing around me. I learned about the 4 P’s which must be considered together and that if a company was missing any one part of the 4 P’s they would not reach their full potential. Promotions such as buy-one-get-one-free make much more sense to me in terms of increased quantity sold to more than compensate for decrease in contribution margin per unit. Buy-one-get-one-free is more of a sales oriented tactic. Before I took this course, I also used the terms tactic and strategy interchangeably.