Skip navigation

reusable-bag

https://blogs.ubc.ca/lpong/2014/10/05/use-reusable-bags-instead/

The article in question here is a commentary on a policy in California where they implemented a policy banning single use plastic bags. Her main argument is that although this is heavily beneficial to the environment it can cause harm to plastic bag production firms leading to increased unemployment as a result. She then commented on how there will be difficulty in reallocating labor to reusable plastic bags as training may require time and continues her argument on how the government should aim to minimize unemployment while being as environmentally friendly as possible.

I agree on the fact that sustaining the environment is extremely important, but I also believe that there are alternative methods in which this idea can be pursued that will not lead to the eventual unemployment as stated by the blog. With today’s recycling technology, plastic bags can be recycled with ease. My personal opinion would be to not implement the ban but instead enforce policies on plastic recycling providing an incentive. This way, unemployment can be avoided and there can be more employment in the recycling industry instead. In addition to plastic recycling policies, other policies that aim at the usage of reusable bags can also be implemented so both one time bag users and reusable both have a benefit. Although of course you cannot deny that some people may choose to not follow these policies at all.

5 Comments

1. Hey,
    Paper bags are nice because they melt and plastic bags doesn’t melt I think paper bags are good

2. His is really a great article and great read for me. Its my first visit to your blog and i have found it so useful and informative specially this article. Thank you

3. Reusable bags are always something great to be considered about. Great read, thanks

4. Great Article! Great post and good point. This is a really amazing idea and helpful article. Thank you for sharing it

5. This response and reuse bags are awesome