Kimblogging Assignment 1:2

Image result for moses and the tablets

This blog will be a commentary of Chamberlin’s last chapter, “Ceremonies,” from his book, If this is Your Land, Where are your Stories?” I will examine spiritualism while exploring Chamberlin’s ideas of borders, where suddenly two different beliefs seem to unite and make sense together.

When I first read of the Gitksan’s story of the grizzly Mediik who ran down the mountain in protest of the people’s deteriorating respect for their lands, I was reminded of Moses running down the mountain in rage because his  people had begun worshipping idols, rather than the God of the Jews. Mediik and Moses both were spiritual instruments that brought destruction in order to teach their people. Moses, in his fury smashed the tablets he had painstakenly waited for, and the people had dire consequences of continuing to live an uncomfortable life in the desert. The Jewish God is believed to have continually brought destruction to teach lessons and punish people. Just a few examples are the earthquakes, turning people into salt, sacrifices,  famine,  plague, and the flood.

I was brought up to believe these stories from the Bible were true. They were not metaphors, but actually literal stories.  Chamberlin brings up the idea of myths and whether the Greeks believed them.  He explains: “Yes and no.” I have embraced that kind of belief. Are biblical stories true? Yes and no. Similarly, are indigenous stories true? Yes and no. I am convinced there is truth within every belief system, but there is also the limitations of this physical world. We are not fully spiritual, but we do touch upon the spiritual realm. Do all religions and beliefs? I think so. Are they all true? Yes and no. I am happy to rest on the gray side. This resting place has allowed me to be more accepting of diversity, although at the same time it is very difficult to eat a dinner with someone who eats their peas from a knife.

Watching my friends and family still embrace a literal belief of the Bible is like that awkward dinner, as I want them to have an epiphany (as though I know for certain) and realize that  Christianity  is a belief system weaved together by time and culture, and not literal (or so I believe).  The belief I embraced for 36 years (born again Christianity), now is absurd to me. I look at my family and friends and wonder how such educated, intelligent people can believe in a God that demands praise and worship, a God who destroys those who do not follow his commands, and a God who will eternally destroy all those who do not believe the ideals of the New Testament. I am left to simply accept that their beliefs are real to them, and I have no business arguing with them or discrediting them. There are truths in what they believe; I believe there is a spiritual realm they reach in their beliefs, and throughout the world humans connect with this spiritual world through varied religions. Many stories of the bible truly move me, and propagate a message of faith and love that is very beautiful. Am I comfortable with exclusivity of religion? No. Do I like that ultimately they believe I am not saved and will spend eternity in hell. No. But then I just accept that it is their truth and I am thankful for the stories (even from the Bible) which teach us all.  Chamberlain puts it well when he says, “We need to keep this contradiction alive when we think of other people’s stories as well as our own, and be careful not to discredit either the yes or the no”(236).

Why should I be careful not to disregard the beliefs of others, even though they are strange and different? Because, as Chamberlain explains, there are borders which occur and show humans that we and all our stories are united (222). This summer I had a born again friend question me about my lack of belief in the religion I was brought up in. I reluctantly entered the conversation, and warned that it may make her feel less close to me if I were to really share my feelings. She wanted to talk anyways, and I treaded carefully through our discussion, knowing that her belief was as firm as my disbelief. We reached a border moment near the end of our talk, when she implored of me, “Didn’t you ever have an encounter with God?” That was a tricky question. Of course I have, but not from her paradigm. There is something in this universe that is amazing, but I simply cannot define God, nor do I even know what I mean by God. I told her I believe she touches upon a higher power, and I also believe that how people get to this enlightened place is not important, but that we are stay open to love in the universe. These borders occur in nature, when ones heart fills with appreciation and a sense of wonder bordering on worship. The borders are revealed when we look at a honeycomb or a spiders web and see their intricacy. This sense of border moment (or intersection as penned by Paterson) occurs when we rise and sing a national anthem, sensing that the ceremony has helped us reach a magical border place of unity. Chamberlain says, “…Them and Us is inevitable. But choosing between is like choosing between reality and the imagination, or between being marooned on an island and drowning in the sea. Deadly, and ultimately a delusion”(239).

Canada and more specifically BC embraces indigenous teaching in schools. There are videos and books called Raven Tales that my young students watch and enjoy. Last year I had children ask me if the stories in the videos were true. Did Raven create the world, and did the first humans come out of a clam shell? I was a little bit unsure how to answer! Should I say no? Do Aboriginal people think their stories are literally true? A fairy tale has so much truth in it. Is it true? Is Santa true? ( I could never say out loud that he is not). I think indigenous stories are embraced because the First Nations people do not push their beliefs on others. I have known many Aboriginal people, and they have never come across as believing their stories are the only way to truth. Perhaps that is why we are telling them in school. This is why we allow fairy tales. One day I hope the wonderful, captivating stories of the bible are told in public schools, but that may have to wait until minds are broadened and less dogmatic.

Chamberlin, J. Edward. If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories? N.p.: Vintage Canada Edition, 2003. Print.

Goodsalt.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2016. Image.

Raven’s Tale: The Haida Creation Story.  www.yodigo.tv/lesson/view/12. Web. 17 Sept. 2016.

“What Must I Do to Be Saved.” Founain View Pentecostal Church, n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2016.

4 thoughts on “Kimblogging Assignment 1:2

1. HannahWagner

I was also brought up to believe that the Biblical stories were true. And similarly I have come to embrace more of a “yes and no” type of belief system. I found your blog post very interesting, and felt it was a wonderful commentary on stories and beliefs. I am not generally very comfortable sharing my beliefs with others because I find it to be a very personal subject; I thought your post was very brave and inspiring. Thank-you for sharing!

Something I really like from this chapter was in the beginning when Chamberlain is explaining how the elders of the Gitksan were trying to explain to the judge that their story and the scientific story validated each other. The idea that no story, or religion, has “a monopoly on understanding what happened” (27-28) is so constructive; this type of belief encourages open-mindedness and acceptance. I completely agree that how people reach their place of love or enlightenment is not important.

Something else that I found interesting about this specific idea was that it placed the scientific narrative in line with religious or ceremonial narratives. Which is something I had not completely considered before… I guess because our culture places such high value in scientific revelation I had not really considered that it may be just another storyline. Is this something you had already considered? I would be very interested in your thoughts on this concept.

1. KimberlyBellwood Post author

Hi Hannah,
      I appreciate your comments related to my blog, and I see we have some religious background in common. I think religion and science blend together over time, sometimes without humans realizing it. I notice that many stories of creation, tricksters, and Gods connect with scientific occurrences in life, such as the destruction of Gitksan land and Israelite famine earthquakes, plague, and the angel of death. Science and religion blend and are both means of teaching humans, if as you say, we keep an open mind. There have been mistakes in Science and mistakes in religion. Einstein rescinded a part of his mathematical equation, Darwin’s ideas were brilliant, but he erred in some scientific facts. The list goes on. What I hope humans aim to do is keep an open mind and keep some common sense. Galileo was harshly disciplined by the Catholic Church for his scientific beliefs relating to a spherical Earth. It is only in the last 30-40 years the church officially apologized for their error.

I am sure in the next 50 years we will be blown away by mistakes we are making today in regard to our beliefs scientifically and spiritually. I would like to see Science as open to error as I would religion. Sometimes common sense and intuition may direct us more truthfully. I cringe when I hear of life coming from one molecule (or something smaller like that!) because, come on people, we are extremely amazing and intricate, as is all the universe. (Where did that molecule come from?!) There are as numerous scientific as religious creation and life stories. I am sure they will continue to blend and teach us.

Cheers, Kim

2. ColleenFish

I found your blog incredibly interesting and found myself going on a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions as I went from one of simple interest to excitement to disappointment back to wonderment. I was first captivated by the stories you described of Mosses and others as I was not brought up with these stories and my father prohibited the word “God” to be said in the house. However, that was not the case with my extended family who ranged from Christians to Pentecostals who read the bible every morning before breakfast for at least 30 minutes. To say the least, I did not understand what they were talking about. My immediate family differed greatly to one of science and fact and my parents were both lawyers. Despite a drastically different view of the world, they were family. I loved them no matter what they believed.

One of my long-time best friends is Aboriginal although she doesn’t identify as such. She lead a “white” life. She believes that the stories in the bible are literally true and she knows that I believe in science yet we have had a friendship that has endured through good times and bad none of which were influenced by religion or rather the lack of it. I wouldn’t trade this friendship for a million dollars yet our worldview varies so drastically. I can’t explain it but I think summed up, we respect each other’s worldview. We see the value in the differences and how we can teach each other and further deepen rather than constrict the understanding of the world.

In regards to your comments about science and religion, I am curious if you have read the Dan Brown’s book, Angels and Demons, relating to the conflict between the two? I remember it being very good in considering how Science and Religion should compliment one another rather than conflict with or counteract each other. If I recall correctly, I could be wrong. Totally not a Canadian author but I thought someone relevant to the discussion of science and religion.

1. KimberlyBellwood Post author

Hi Colleen 🙂 No I have not read that book…I didn’t realize it dealt with those issues…sounds good. How interesting that your dad did not tolerate “god” in your family’s home. He must have gotten turned off of religion at some point. I enjoyed reading your response. Thank you! Kim