Assignment 2:6 Let the stories be told.

I think Carlson is saying that Indigenous stories are no less authentic and relevant than the white man’s stories. Although at the time of European settlement, the First Nation’s people were not writing their stories using an alphabet per se, Native people are well known for their ability to pass down stories and information from generation to generation, and it was and is their way of literacy. Carlson explains how elders in the Salish communities do not earn respect lightly, and stories would not be passed on to future generations unless the elder believed the story with his or her whole heart.

How can I presume to know how Salish people thought and think? Clearly it is not in my paradigm, and I can only try and understand their ways of telling. I can only listen and be willing to learn from the voices of the past and the voices today. There is no doubt, European arrival has affected much of Salish language, culture and practices–but there are truths in Indigenous story telling that remain despite traumatic effects of European entitlement of land and residential schools.

I believe there is truth to Indigenous stories, as there are truths to most stories. It does not mean the stories have not changed. I told the story of my sense of “Home” and if I were to ask my sister to read it and tell me if it is correct, she would probably have a different perspective of my life. But my story is still true. I also have stories of my children’s births. They are true to me—I was there, but if my husband (who was in close vicinity) told the story, it would be different. However, we are both right and the birth of our child is a sacred story; it must be passed down with truth. It might be from different perspectives, but there will be truth represented. I think this is what Carlson says about Salish stories—they were sacred. It was their way of literacy—and it must be received with honour and respect. However, there is no doubt the consequences of colonization and residential schools affected their stories in different extents.

Brad Baker is a district principal for North Vancouver, and his life has been deeply affected by residential schools. He was the first Indigenous teacher in North Vancouver’s district—and he is an advocate for First Nations people. Baker’s father Harry Baker is a survivor of residential schools, but it is something he rarely speaks of: “He does talk about heading down to his grandfather Willy’s house to learn about their Squamish culture, but Harry doesn’t have much to say about why those lessons didn’t always stick. What he does say, however, is chilling.”

‘Me and my two sisters, after school we would go down to his house and he would teach us the Squamish language…Then we’d go to school and get it slapped out of us.’

Harry then goes silent again. (Prest)”

The impact of colonization and residential schools In First Nations’ lives is great, but with determination they are insisting their voices be respectfully heard. First people being made to live on reserve land has had dire consequences for them and is not a proud part of Canadian history, but many First Nations people are living happy healthy lives, and they have a community that insists and ensures their language, cultures and stories be told. Shonfield writes of a visit to a reserve: “I went to Gull Bay First Nation Reserve, two hours North of Thunder Bay…I was surprised and amazed by the generosity of the strangers I met there. There were so many people on the reserve that were working diligently to make their community a better place” (Shonfield, Graham).

This solidarity and community is also shown in Baker’s life:

Those who know Harry aren’t surprised at the path his son has taken. Around the Reserve the elder Baker is known as Uncle Harry. Young Squamish Nation members feel comfortable coming to him for counsel, or just to joke around. Brad sees that — he visits his parents’ house every single day — and he realizes where his own charisma and compassion come from. He also knows why he’s chosen this path in life (Prest).

“I wanted to make our elders — my dad — proud of us as people (Baker).

Let all people’s stories be told, for there is truth and meaning in every story.

http://www.lifeonthereserve.ca/about.html

http://www.nsnews.com/news/carving-a-new-path-in-education-1.1588261

6 thoughts on “Assignment 2:6 Let the stories be told.

1. BryonyRoseHeathwood

Hi Kim,

Your post made me think about the effects of stories and how differerently they are interpreated or told. As you said your story of home may differ to the one that your sister may have of your home, but that does not change anything. I think that we need to reassure ourselves of this idea that when we hear a story, or read one on paper these stories can be told differently in reference to the story teller or the creator. We get so hung up on just reading a story without fully appreciating the story-line or the words used that we are unable to process the concept that these Indigenous stories we learn about have passed through many generations and that each generation has their own touch to the stories; this creating various story-lines and values that can not be fully appreciated through just one story or one reading. This does not take away from the effect or the importance of the story it just teaches us that every individual has their own take of the story and in general, life. I like that you gave a personal example to demonstrate how the stories of the Indigenous people in a way connect to those of us that are not Indigenous. Though we are not of the same culture, we are all human, and we forget that. We forget that we are all humans living in the same world, hearing the same stories. And we need to remember that stories are stories, there are no limitations on stories and that each one is not like the other.

2. MarissaBirnie

Hello Kim,

This comment reminds me of something the writer/poet Joseph Dandurand said. He “questions the invader-settler or tourist’s ability to create authentic images of native culture.” Maybe our ability to appreciate and make sense of First Nations stories is fundamentally flawed. Indeed, perhaps it is not in our “paradigm” to understand but we should still be willing to listen and learn. It’s especially important to try and understand because looking at story’s from one perspective does not change the truth of that story from the other perspective. We try to drown out or ignore the truth of stories because we are blinded by our own perspectives, thinking there can only be one “truth”. We need to get beyond this kind of thinking and realize that every story is important, and every story contains truths.

1. KimberlyBellwood Post author

Definitely…I used to be (very) religious and I was brought up to believe “we” were the only “right” way…gulp…thanks for commenting.

3. AudreyBaker

Your post has made me think about how perception and interpretation affect all form of history whether it be orally past on by First Nations people, or written down as literary works by those of European decent. Both are most likely accurate to their own accord. Same story told through different eyes and in different ways. What one saw or experienced is true to them but it does not mean that all experienced the same. I think that there is a potential for each side to learn from each other yet part of me wonders if one’s perception of events would prevent those from truly hearing and what the other has to say? One would have to put aside assumptions and hear with a truly open mind. I think that if we can learn to hear each other’s stories and acknowledge that there are things that can be learned from both literary works and oral story telling we may be able to start to see things from the other perspective, learn to understand, show empathy and promote healing. Do you think this is possible? Do you think the intersection of written history and oral storytelling will ever truly cross or do you think that they may get closer together but will forever be separated by perception and lack of understanding?

1. KimberlyBellwood Post author

When a couple (or roommates) move in together, they must find common ground of some kind if they want their union to work. On the other hand, they are completely unique individuals and there is no way they can think or feel the same all the time. I guess all we can do is try…no one is more important in a union…for a long time the Indigenous people have been considered less important in Canada, and I hope changes like the increased Indigenous teaching in BC make many who are ignorant of what has transpired in colonizing this land aware and empathetic.
      Thank you for commenting. 🙂