GGRW Characters and the BC Site C Dam Proposal

Image result for bc map and treaty land

I explored pages 110-114 of King’s fiction novel “Green Grass Running Water” (I know it is not 10 pages, but these four pages caused great exploration) because this part of the novel was about a dam being built on Native land and I figured King was including this topic because it must be significant. Now having investigated the issue of dams, I have discovered that there is a controversial dam that BC Hydro wants to build that affects Native people’s land as well as local landowners. In the document, Report of the Joint Review Panel: Site C Clean Energy Project: BC Hydro, BC Hydro admits: “There are 21 First Nations who assert rights under Treaty 8 that may be affected by the project” (8).

Hume of The Globe and Mail writes, “If BC Hydro’s $9-billion Site C dam is built one day, the water level would rise to cover Bear Flats below, long a sacred gathering place for the Dane-zaa people (Online). There is also enormous concern from First Nations and other local landowners about their land being flooded. They are camping out to protect the land and “While the camp has rightfully earned significant media attention, few outside the region are aware that it’s located in an area so high in ecological values that the B.C. government recognizes it as worthy of Provincial Park status, and designates it as an Old Growth Management Area” (DESMOGCANADA Online).

The article goes on to explain, “Peace-Boudreau is a place of shared heritage, archaeological richness, First Nations cultural and economic importance and incredible wildlife habitat values combined together in a unique ecosystem that has been wisely reserved from destruction for almost 50 years. It’s time to protect Peace-Boudreau forever, starting with the rejection of the Site C dam” (DESMOGCANADA online). King uses his novel to illuminate this real problem and I will look at the case in BC specifically.

In GGRW, Eli is an Indigenous man who spent most of his life away from his Reserve, but has returned after his mother’s death and is living in her cabin. Clifford Sifton is a man who builds dams, and he comes to Eli’s cabin to have coffee. Eli says to Sifton,

“Looks like you’re thinking about building a dam.”

That’s right,” said Sifton. “She’s going to be a beauty.”

“This is my mother’s house…She built it herself, log by log.”

…”Construction starts in a month” (114).

Even though the dam would cause dire consequences to Eli’s people on his Reserve, Sifton and the government are still planning its construction.

I ask myself, “How can BC build a dam if it affects people’s land and lifestyle?” I am not familiar with such matters. So I looked at Treaty 8 of the proposed Site C area. This Treaty of 1899 states:

It is further agreed between Her Majesty and Her said Indian subjects that suchportions of the reserves and lands above indicated as may at any time be required for public works, buildings, railways, or roads of whatsoever nature may be appropriated for that purpose by Her Majesty’s Government of the Dominion of Canada, due compensation being made to the Indians for the value of any improvements thereon, and an equivalent in land, money or other consideration for the area of the reserve so appropriated (Treaty No. 8).

In GGRW King suggests that there are other possible sites available. Eli asks Sifton:

“So how come so many of them are built on Indian Land?”

“Only so many places you can build a dam.”

“Provincial report recommended three possible sites.”

“Geography. That’s what decides where dams get built.”

“This site wasn’t one of them (111).

This very case is true in BC: BC Hydro had five other recommended sites in the 1950’s but BC Hydro made the decision to use this land (Panel, 8). Why was this site chosen? I am not sure of all the details, but I am concerned about our past agreements and how they are affecting people—most dramatically the First Nations people. We have some issues to be examined and King is bringing light to this. Eli responds to Sifton about the proposed construction happening saying, “Maybe it will…And maybe it’ll have to wait.”

Report of the Joint Review Panel: Site C Clean Energy Project: BC Hydro http://deslibris.ca.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/ID/242527

Map https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bc+map+and+treaty+land&view=detailv2&&id=9A87AF05932C740D86A26E16BFCBFE814746DB4F&selectedIndex=1&ccid=3Cw%2fqFwl&simid=608050250890743291&thid=OIP.Mdc2c3fa85c25673319be4dfb1315a7a9o0&ajaxhist=0

Map https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bc+map+and+treaty+land&view=detailv2&&id=723394F4DA8F224EBAD279FCDBBF4CC31676A09D&selectedIndex=14&ccid=998emk7O&simid=608023690808264371&thid=OIP.Mf7df1e9a4eced7a10000937f75397109o0

Treaty No. 8 http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100028813/1100100028853#toc

King, Thomas. Green Grass Running Water

DESMOGCANADA http://www.desmog.ca/2016/02/16/area-flooded-site-c-dam-once-recommended-provincial-park

5 thoughts on “GGRW Characters and the BC Site C Dam Proposal

1. Kaylie

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your post! I enjoyed reading the connections you made between King’s writing and the site C dam project. I remember one of the things that struck me about another book by King (“The Inconvenient Indian”) was a discussion on how national projects could be placed on reserves/reservations; reading your post reminded me of this. I know it’s a bit different, but the (colonial) idea that Indigenous lands can just be broken apart and used in “national interest” still seems to be enacted in government decisions. Even groups such as Amnesty International have written articles/brought attention to concerns over site C, yet there still seems to be minimal change in terms of stopping the dam’s construction.

If you don’t mind me asking, were you aware of the project and its controversy before reading King’s book? If so, do you think reading King’s novel contributed to your understanding or perspective of the project?

For me, I first became aware of it as an environmental and ALR related concern, before learning more about the cultural significance of the area. In reflection, it’s interesting to think that even within groups challenging projects such as site C, the projects are not always presented in terms of an Indigenous perspective/connection, even when it directly and hugely affects Indigenous peoples.

Anyhow, I hope you’re having a good start to the week and I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Kaylie

1. KimberlyBellwood Post author

Hi Kaylie,
      I figured out how to get your comment out of spam. I did respond on fb…to your question as you know…but on here I will just reiterate that I had no idea of the Site C dam until reading GGRW and subsequently researching. Good luck on making it to the end of Term! Kim

2. DanielleVernon

I enjoyed your blog post! I like how you chose to focus on just four pages, but four very significant and important pages. I find it really sad that Indigenous land is often used for big corporations to make more money and extend power. It alarms me that this impacts Indigenous people’s health and their land, and yet, big corporations still continue to think this is okay.

3. TillieStainsbyAnderson

Hi Kim,

I enjoyed your post. My pages overlapped yours. I was also struck by this land issue – although I did not focus on it, so I really like your in-depth take on it.

While I found the contemporary references interesting, I was also wondering if you thought the dam could also be a metaphor? Could the dam also be referencing a larger, perhaps intangible issue. For instance, the assumptions the Canadian government make over Native land/lives?

Interested to hear your take!