Marcel Proust’s Week

Marcel Proust’s “Combray” initially struck me as being both perplexing and full of long phrases that never seemed to finish, but it was also replete with wonderful images that allowed my imagination to go wild. In all honesty, even though it sounded like the author was making some deep points, I completely missed them. After reading some of the sentences again, I was able to understand what he was saying. I found particular value in the narrator’s comment on his sleep patterns and the ideas that crossed his mind during his formative years. The town of Combray turns into a microcosm of time and memory as the narrator muses on his history. 

Childhood and memory were one of the book’s central topics. The way Proust portrays social dynamics in “Combray” provides insights into the aristocratic circles he was raised in. Proust’s firsthand experiences among the upper echelons of French society served as inspiration for the novel’s complex relationships, social customs, and character interactions.  Proust’s own childhood is captured in the story, along with the subtle interaction between his early experiences and uncontrollable recollections. The town of Combray transforms into a little representation of memory and time as the storyteller reflects on his past. 

The use of visuals on the first page caught my attention right away. I could clearly picture everything the author was attempting to convey throughout the whole book. His description of the stained-glass windows is an excellent illustration of this. I found it quite lovely when he described how the light coming through the glass changed with the seasons, forming various forms and hues that made the room appear to be in a different place even though it was the same, generating a feeling of unpredictability as the glass changed. Marcel’s bond with his mother struck out to me as another aspect that I felt was really natural. 

All this being said, Marcel is someone I can relate to. His desire for companionship, affection, and comfort resonates with me. The most important lesson I think I learned is how valuable memories are. The only thing you have left as time runs out are your memories. As a whole, I felt that this book made each word seem alive with excellent imagery and description. Visualizing the places mentioned and appreciating the book’s moments was enjoyable.

A question i’d like to ask is  How does this style of writing enhance the exploration of memory and time in the novel?

2 thoughts on “Marcel Proust’s Week

1. pdulla

Hi,

I enjoyed reading your blog post and feel as if I can relate to what you were feeling. Due to the lengthy phrases and concepts, I felt like I missed some of the points mentioned. To answer your question, I think this style of writing enhances the exploration of memory and time as it sets the scene quite well. Due to the descriptive style it may be a bit easier to visualize what is going on and in a sense imagine the memory to a deeper level. It allows for one to feel the emotions and the context that was being portrayed.

2. Tesi

KP, you made some great points in describing how the narrative voice speaks. Re-reading is a very good strategy and a sign that you are a good reader! I’m glad you were able to empathize with the writer as well as reflect on the value of memory.

Thanks for your comments