Hour of the Star. Macabea is not a star

The complex and mysterious novella “The Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector explores existentialism, identity, and the human predicament. The narrative centers on Macabéa, a young, nondescript woman from Rio de Janeiro’s slums. It’s the shortest novel I’ve read so far in this course, I think. It is said of Macabéa that she is a modest, quiet woman who lacks ambition, beauty, or intelligence. She is a typewriter by profession and leads an isolated life with no real goals or relationships. She endured hardships, but she never wavers in her belief in life’s goodness and youthful innocence. She is innocent and anxious-free in her mind. I felt she was a straightforward lady with an ephemeral personality when I read her. However, in contrast to what the narrator claimed, she was a person with dreams and desires of her own. I simply feel like Macabea is so pure and legitimate.

Macabéa’s life comes to an abrupt and terrible end in the pivotal scene of “The Hour of the Star,” as she is murdered by a car. The story abruptly ends with this incident, which acts as a painful punctuation stroke for Macabéa’s modest yet profoundly meaningful life. But Macabéa experiences a remarkable change in consciousness in the final minutes before her death. In the midst of the commotion and brutality of the catastrophe, she briefly gains consciousness and transcends. She seems to suddenly realize the significance of her own life when faced with mortality. In light of Macabéa’s character development, this discovery is important.

The quote that stood out to me from the book was “Macabéa was thin and very pale. Her eyes were the color of nothing. Her hair, the color of nothing.” Macabéa’s unpretentious demeanor and lack of social distinction are reflected in the stark simplicity with which her physical attributes are portrayed. Her pale complexion and thin hair indicate a life of deprivation and neglect, while her colorless eyes and hair represent her lack of personality and presence in the world. The way Lispector depicts Macabéa’s look highlights the novella’s recurring theme of existential insignificance by emphasizing her anonymity and obscurity. Macabéa may not appear particularly distinguished on the outside, but her inner existence is filled with confusion, longing, and a deep need for meaning and connection.

Questions for the class:

In what ways does Macabéa’s tale speak to more general concerns of life and the pursuit of meaning?

What is the significance of Macabéa’s sudden moment of clarity and transcendence before her death?

3 thoughts on “Hour of the Star. Macabea is not a star

1. Ruby Dyck Steinmann

Hi KP! I also was really compelled by Macabéa’s sudden realization when she is dying. I think her moment of clarity is significant because I think she never really felt alive and fully like herself before. Once she faces her end she truly experiences the feeling of existence. She finally has the urge to live because she is faced with death.

2. jasmeent

Hi, I think Macabea’s life speaks to the concerns of life as it highlights the concern to find meaning in existence. I think the meaning of life and what it means is a question we all face at some point.

3. Tesi

KP, you are right in thinking this is the shortest book. I like how you started by stating and then challenging the narrative’s voice perspective of Macabea. What do you think made her life profoundly meaningful? I think these last moments of consciousness can definitely be seen as transcendence. Good close reading at the end!

Thanks for your comment!
    Tesi