it's better to say too much

001. The Beginning

“No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world.”

Where was I when I got the email telling me I was a part of this year’s Blog Squad? Sitting on my bed watching the sixth (and almost final!) season of Gilmore Girls. A pleasant surprise, don’t get me wrong, although I do love my GG…

But of course, being accepted as a First Year blogger, and trying to configure my blog to my freakish satisfaction, got me thinking about how I ended up here. Almost thirteen days away from arriving in an entirely new city, a new land. Ready for new adventures and new friends. I definitely could not stop thinking about how everything has come full circle: from applying to UBC, to being accepted and now counting down the days until I leave home. It’s so crazy. I mean, you work hard to get to where you are, but it still feels so surreal to be actually arriving at your destination, your goal.

The weirdest thing is that I wasn’t nervous before. Not when I was looking through the Viewbook so many times that I could recite it back to you. Not when I sent in my application, or waited anxiously for an acceptance letter. Definitely not when said letter arrived. I was too busy being excited, daydreaming of when I could really start a new chapter of my life. Now, thirteen days before I get on a plane and head toward Vancouver, now is the time when I start to get nervous. It’s not a bad, “OMFG what the heck am I doing?!” nervous, more of a “I hope it’s everything I’ve dreamed of” kind.

The thing is I know I’ll have fun, but I know there will probably be times when I wonder if I made the right decision. If moving across the country and starting over was the right thing for me. Well, my fellow Blog Squaders, potential readers and UBC prospectives, I guess this is the time for you to join me on my journey, as I figure what the heck I’m doing! Welcome to my life.

1 miriam { 08.19.10 at 2:26 am }

Woah, you’re all over the place Krystal! Getting involved early, I see! 🙂

2 Dominika Ziemczonek { 08.19.10 at 12:56 pm }

I was nervous when starting UBC as well, and I’m a Vancouverite! Looking forward to reading about your first impressions of UBC when you arrive!

3 Conny { 08.22.10 at 6:31 pm }

I was clicking around on Facebook and found you on there. After a moment of pondering “How do I know this person? Why do I have them as a friend?”, I realized you added me way back when. Remember the girl you wanted to trade rooms with when housing assignments just came out? Yeah, you probably don’t but that’s okay. (And I managed to get into Vanier in the end, hurrah!) Then, I found the link to your blog on your little info box so here I am now.

Anyways, just dropped by to say hi and congrats on getting onto blog squad! I wanted to do this but I guess somewhere along the way I forgot and my procrastination got the best of me. I will be creeping through your blog occasionally though like I have others in the past year where I anticipated my acceptance and final arrival at UBC 🙂

P.S. You like Gilmore Girls. MAJOR brownie points in my books 😛 I told myself I’d watch all 7 seasons this summer, but clearly I failed seeing as I’m on season 2 only right now.

4 krystalv { 08.22.10 at 6:52 pm }

I do remember! That’s awesome about getting into Vanier! I’m bringing all my seasons of G.G. with me, so we have to have marathons during the year.
Thanks so much for reading my blog, it means a lot! See you in September!

5 Eastwood { 08.26.10 at 9:15 pm }

Great first post! I remember when I was about to start university, I felt nervously excited.

Enjoy Arts One and the year ahead! Welcome to Vancouver, UBC, and the Blog Squad!

6 Ella { 08.28.10 at 12:15 am }

Welcome to the Blog Squad Krystal! I’m excited to keep up your adventures in first year.