it's better to say too much

005. I have arrived!

I got to Vancouver around 12:15pm PST on Wednesday and can I just say this place is beautiful! Just driving toward our hotel was an experience in itself. The mountains and the high rise buildings are such a juxtaposition of nature and modern life. The weather here is absolutely beautiful, compared to the 40°C in Toronto. My family and I took a walk down Cambie St, then along W 6th Ave. It’s so different from Toronto. The buildings are different and the people seem a bit more friendly. I think I’m going to like it here. When I first arrived it definitely felt more like a vacation than the place that will become home over the next four years. Here are just a few photos of the view from our hotel room:

View of City Hall from my hotel.

Yesterday we headed down to UBC for a campus tour and so I could meet up with a few people to buy some of my books (my epic book buying post will come soon!). The campus is everything I thought it would be: sprawling, beautiful and a place to call home. To be honest, I don’t know if the real “I’m at home, this is where I belong” feeling has hit me yet. I think it’ll be a lot different once I move in and get settled. The campus is huge though! I always wanted to go to a big university, but holy moly, how long is it going to take to find my way around? I can’t wait!

For all the prospective UBCers out there who can’t/haven’t visited the campus before, here are a few pictures of this swonderful, and smarvelous place (Funny Face  reference ftw).

Nitobe Memorial Gardens

Koerner Library

View from the Rose Garden

Rose Garden

Nitobe Memorial Gardens

1 Ella { 09.04.10 at 7:40 am }

glad you enjoyed your tour Krystal, and have a great day moving in to rez!

2 Michael Ha { 09.07.10 at 11:40 am }

Hi Krystal, welcome to UBC!