Week 10: Power to the People

I was born into a century that is filled with technology and various forms of communication. Innovation in the realm of technology has increased exponentially and I have taken it for granted. Having the new iPhone and a state-of-the-art laptop and a radio in my car, I never considered the implications these forms of communication would have had the moment they were introduced into society. I only listened to the radio in the morning to hear about accidents along the road, but never would have realized it had such a significant impact in the history of Latin America. It allowed hundreds of thousands of people across the region to tune into anything. This brought everyone closer and ultimately was used by the governments at the time to bring in support or ridicule to themselves.

The main difficulty with using the radio to broadcast the political values and beliefs of the ruling party is that there is nothing that forces the people to listen. The only way to captivate the audience is to either broadcast something they all want to hear or say something that shocks the audience. An example of a leader captivating the audience is Adolf Hitler. (not endorsing what he’s known for.) He looked at the situation the people of Germany were in and created his speeches based on that. He empowered the people to rise from the bottom; he promised that he would bring economic relief to the region and rebuild after the war. Being in a desperate situation, the public had a deep desire for change to a better life which is why they all listened to what Hitler said. An example of a leader captivating the audience by means of shock is Donald Trump. Regardless of whether he is a racist, what he said was partially to raise tensions and bring attention to himself and this was mediated and expedited by different forms of communication.