Citizenship and Rights in the New Republics Reflection

Posted by in Blog Posts

After reading the translation of “The Fetishist Animism of the Bahian Blacks” (I was disappointed to not find an original version), I definitely got a new perspective on how former slaves were treated in the late 19th century and early 20th century in Latin America. I did already know that racism in the region was very much present at the time (and still is, to this day), but what I was not aware was the extent of the scientific works being published to justify racism. In the specific case of the reading, the author discusses how the religious syncretism present in the state of Bahia is evidence that, in reality, the Africans continue to perform their “dark magic” rituals, and as such, claims it as evidence that they are inferior to those of white color because they “can’t comprehend” a monotheistic religion.

To me it was interesting to hear that because in school I was taught about the specific case of the religious syncretism that occurred with the Candomblé religion and Christianity, and some of the saints that the slaves would worship, but secretly worshipping them as their own gods. But to hear a “scholar” claim it to be evidence for their inferiority to the white man was hurtful (to say the least), and not just for the Candomblé religion, but a large aspect of Brazil’s culture as well.