Week 7: On “The Export Boom as Modernity”

This chapter deals mainly with two topics–politics and economy–during the time when the majority of Latin America was progressing in modernity. Although having very poor understanding of economics and not so much better understanding of politics, I’m highly interested in the political part of this chapter. Although I’m aware that the document is a highly romantic eulogy of Diaz and brimming with ideological bullshit to some of you, my views upon democracy and governing agree to some extent with those of Diaz’s. Indeed, liberty and democracy are wonderful political and humanitarian ideals, but they are not just one step away for a nation debilitated by centuries of colonization and fratricidal wars and conflicts. Order needs to be established before progress can be made and the political theories turned into reality. The order implies not only social stability for economic prosperity but also a foundation for education that enlighten and prepare the mass for true democracy. No country can import a political idea and implement it disregarding the country’s reality. For Mexico, an exemplary in terms of modernization, Diaz’s rule proved beneficent in a way. The measures taken at the initial stage was harsh and even cruel, which Diaz himself also acknowledged. According to him, the bad blood was shed for the sake of saving much more good blood. I do not agree wholly with his executions, but I do think that certain price has to be paid because civilization and prosperity don’t come easily.

I think it’s very valuable lesson to take for some countries and regions nowadays that are struggling in their paths to liberty and democracy. Each country has its own course of development and each is at a distinct stage from others. Very often the influence of other countries can blind the state leaders’ insight to their own country. Without advocating authoritarianism, I think state leaders should be assertive on what they think suitable for their country after careful consideration.

As for the economy part, I can understand both of the opposing views mentioned by Dawson. Although one can argue for the latent problem of the export boom that proved correct, like economic dependency, the export boom was indeed the current optimization for Latin America countries at that time. There is never an all-advantageous method to take, and wise countries will find solutions for problems that ensue.