Introducing Myself

A couple of pictures from my Guatemala trip.

Hello everyone,

My name is David Darbinian and I’m a first year at UBC.

A lot of my interest for this course stems from my ten day trip to Guatemala in grade 11. On that trip, I visited many beautiful sites such as Antigua and Guatemala city. I interacted with the Guatemalans through soccer, construction work, sightseeing, national traditions, and other ways.

I am someone who loves to learn more about the world, and having been to eleven countries including Japan, Russia, Jamaica, Austria, and Armenia, I consider myself to be internationally minded. As a result, every region of the world fascinates me in a different way, and after having immersed myself in Guatemalan culture, I find myself drawn back to explore more of the Western hemisphere. I am taking this course to learn more about the many rich cultures and backgrounds which share this part of the world with me. If there’s anything I would like to get out of this course, it is a greater understanding of Latin America as well as an appreciation for the role I play in empathizing and engaging with the perspectives of different countries.