Bless Me, Ultima (Part 2)

To be completely honest, the second half of this book caused me some confusion, so I am just going to ramble a bit in this post.  First off, does the owl symbolize Ultima?  In the first half of the book I didn’t really know what to make of the owl, but now it seems like the owl represents Ultima.   Of course, Tenorio tells us that the owl represents Ultima’s spirit: “‘It is the owl! Do you hear, little bastard! It is the owl that is the spirit of the old witch'” … but is there anything more to this?  At the end the owl dies, and shortly after that Ultima does as well.  Then, upon burying the owl, Antonio realizes that he has buried Ultima. Throughout the book however, the owl does not seem to have the “qualities” (for lack of a better word) that Ultima does.  For example, Ultima is known as the healer and we don’t see a lot of violence from her.  On the other hand, we see a lot of violence from the Owl, like when it rips out Tenorio’s eye.  There definitely are similarities between the owl and Ultima, perhaps one of the most important things that stood out to me about them both is that they are protectors; the owl protects Ultima like Ultima protects Antonio.  There are endless layers to Ultima, and her connection with nature is very obvious through the owl; it seems that the owl shares its soul with a ‘human being’ – they are both connected by the same spirit.  However, this brings me to my next question: is Ultima a human being?  I get the sense that she is, but that her strong connection to nature, especially the fact that (from my observations) she shares a spirit or soul with the owl, is what makes her appear to be non-human.  I found that my questions about Ultima distracted me from what I think this book is truly about: Antonio growing up and learning how to form his own opinions and build his own path.  At the beginning of the book Antonio seemed like a shy, somewhat anxious child who seemed to be torn between two sides that he didn’t even fully understand.  However at the end, Antonio has now learned so much more than he ever thought possible, and most importantly, has realized that his future depends on him and his actions, not anybody else’s.  He also learns how to navigate himself through the ‘magic’ that exists all around him.  It’s even weird for adults to attempt to explain spiritual or magical things, so imagine trying to figure all this stuff out as a child.  At that age, it’s hard to figure out that there isn’t just one single truth, and Antonio realizes this at the end.

3 thoughts on “Bless Me, Ultima (Part 2)

1. RachelCervantes

Hey girl 🙂

You have a really good point about Ultima’s owl. It’s as if the owl is Ultima’s right had who would protect her from all harm but also at the same time, I’m getting the sense that the owl embodies what Ultima doesn’t want to do, like harming other people. I guess what Antonio meant with the burying of the owl is that he’s always seen Ultima and the owl as one. Without Ultima, then the owl does not serve a purpose.

1. Jon

Oh, I do like this idea that “the owl embodies what Ultima doesn’t want to do, like harming other people.” I hadn’t thought of that–and I’m not sure the book makes a big deal of it–but it’s certainly true, isn’t it? The owl is a figure of wisdom, but he (is it a he?) also very much has claws.

2. craig campbell

Hey Cynthia,

I always thought of the owl and Ultima as the same, almost as there is shape-shifting going on. When the owl gets killed by Tenorio, Ultima dies soon after, as if a part of her was also killed. I also noticed (although I too became quite confused with this novel) that the owl and Ultima aren’t ever mentioned as being present with each other…when Ultima is around, the owl is somewhere else and vice versa. It makes me think of indigenous traditions (I think?) where we have spirit animals. The owl is definitely Ultima’s spirit animal, but it seems that it goes beyond that. Perhaps Ultima is violent, but when she is an owl. Are owl’s violent? I guess that depends who you’re asking. Mice and small animals would think so, but a cow might not think so. Just like Tenorio thinking Ultima was a witch. He crossed her and she struck him from her Christmas card list (my euphemism for when people piss me off). All in all, I don’t know if my input helped. It is an interesting book that’s for sure. I will have to reread it sometime and see if I feel differently about it.

Have a good day, and stay healthy.
    Craig