My greatest lesson learned from…

March 24th, 2011 § 0 comments

I’ve always been wary of writing prompts containing superlatives because for one, I have a poor memory, and two, my life hasn’t been exceptionally interesting at any one point. No, really. I’ve lived and grown up in Vancouver all my life (not gone to 3 different high schools in 3 different countries), I dedicated 16 years to and became, all considered, relatively mediocre at gymnastics (not basketball, or volleyball, or just some competitive team sport that UBC offers), I grew up in a single parent household (but had such a hardworking parent that we never really noticed), and was labelled as “gifted” at a young age just to realize that it was more of an excuse to put a bunch of us eccentric children together so as to not disrupt the “normal” kids throughout elementary and high school.

With that disclaimer, I certainly have attended some inspirational conferences and probably picked up some noteable lessons from others along the way (despite never having achieved my childhood dream of travelling… oh, just about anywhere outside our province). I can’t pinpoint exactly when or who, but the one that’s stuck with me until now is to figure out what you want, and don’t let anyone sway you from your ultimate goal (no matter how lofty). I just made that up right now, but I’m sure someone said that at some point.

I always thought I was at a disadvantage growing up because, instead of imagining one thing I wanted to do, or having no idea at all, I had (and still have) way too many things I want to do (or be) in my lifetime. It changes from year to year.. or month… but right now, I know where I want to be (though not necessarily what I want to do).

Along my arduous relatively unexciting journey to university, there were a few family/friends/teachers along the way who thought to offer their sage advice on what I should do or where I should go. Unfortunately and obviously unbeknownst for them, even if I hadn’t made my up mind by then, I certainly wasn’t interested in what they had to say – because, who but me could really tell me what I wanted to do with my next four years life?

Now, with that said, of course I respect others and their opinions/insights. But this is one thing I knew I could figure out on my own, and my family slipping hints and whispers of “you’re so good at Sciences” and “your grades are good enough for Medical School” and “you could help people by being a Doctor” just drove me farther away from my second choice. I know it’s hard for anyone at this point to say for sure what they want to do or be for the rest of their life, but I’m not really concerned about making that decision now anyways. What I do know is there are certain companies, in certain industries, with certain people, that I’d like to work for. And no one is going to sway me from my dream(s). 🙂

(sorry for being so long-winded, Lauren!)