The End of Jell-O…?

In response to Akbar’s Blog Post regarding the declining market for “Jell-O”, I would agree with his suggestion that they have to “approach a slightly different market now”. I recommend that Kraft, the creator of Jell-O, try to create a healthier alternative to their current product. Financially, Jell-O is seeing an extreme decline in sales and revenue. This drop in demand for Jell-O products is not temporary and has a direct correlation to a raise in nation-wide nutritional standards, endorsed by the government through various healthy eating initiatives. This external threat to their target demographic far outweighs any point of difference Jell-O has to offer to consumers; throwing more money at their marketing campaign will not be able to remove the stigma from “sugary desserts”.  However, Jell-O and Kraft still have strong brand names that could easily penetrate a different segment of the snack-food market. As quoted by analyst Harry Balzer “There’s a lot of snacks that are very functional and make rational, logical sense to consumers”. I believe that kraft should divest their time and capital in Jell-O and look to reinvest it into such a product.jello-gowanus