Lenora’s options

So to summarize Lenora’s situation:
    • Audience
      • aboriginal educators/band teachers
    • Content
      • online anti-bullying resource for band teachers
    • Features
      • offer support and suggestions from other aboriginal educators and their allies
        • to me, this requires a forum or discussion where exchange of ideas and issues can occur
        • this can be either synchronous or asynchronous.
    • Limitations
      • dial up only web access (low bandwidth, 40-50kbps at most)
      • no experience with website creation
      • minimal time
Given the above, I have one of two suggestions for Lenora. The first would be to create a website offline. I have never done this but according to a quick google search this is a potential option.

Google search for offline website creation - screen shot by MH

Google search for offline website creation – screen shot by MH

Apparently, the necessary software can be downloaded for free onto a CD or USB and used on another computer. So Lenora could download these onto a CD at school where the connection is faster, then work on her website offline, and upload at a later date. The only issue with this is  that she will still need to learn how to create a website which could be time consuming.

The second option I came up with is an email listserv. I think the important part of this initiative is communication regarding anti-bullying among band teachers. She already has a community of people who would be interested in this topic through her Cradleboard Teaching Project Teacher’s Circle. She could create a listserv, place important content and links in the email and then open it up to discussion. This does not require a lot of bandwidth or experience in website creation. Unlike websites or social media, many people access their email on a daily basis and this approach will reach the relevant audience directly. The only drawback is limitation to access. If there are teachers or other allies that would benefit from this information but are missed in the listserv, they will miss this information. One way to get around it would be to advertise the existence of a listserv on relevant websites and add people as requests arise. I have been on a listserv for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery and I am constantly learning from the discussions that are occurring and I find it very convenient because it comes right into my inbox. Also, I find this method is ideal when discussing sensitive issues such as unique cases or complications because of how private it is. I’m not sure if the same kind of discussions would occur in a less secure environment such as a website. In conclusion, I think I would suggest that Lenora use an email listserv to achieve her goal of creating an online anti-bullying resource for band teachers.