Lenora First Person Voice

First let me write that I completely empathize with Lenora. Going to a Pro-D and coming away with ideas that just need to be tweaked “a little” can be a bit of a “hamster-wheel.” Let me give you an example.

When we were doing the rubric assignment for this course, I thought, “Wouldn’t it be cool to sort of do a reverse questionnaire/process of elimination tool where it would lead BCcampus to the choice they needed for an LMS!?” [Note: what I was thinking were those polls that came up during the election, where your political-belief/allegiance would be revealed after a few answered questions]. I hurried over to Google Forms and started creating a questionnaire, then thought ‘wait! maybe, I should do this in Adobe Pro’, and then after an hour or so of making a nickel sized dent in an iceberg, I went off to prep for my real job of teaching the next day.

“Why,” you may ask, “is it always a story with you lady?” To which I will answer (to get us back on track) Lenora has a great idea. She is bursting with enthusiasm, and knows that this resource will potentially be really valuable. However, I think she needs to move this from “Me” to “We” (no © infringement intended). She has a huge resource pool of like-minded educators. Perhaps together they can develop a website with each of them tackling a part of the whole.

I believe there is good reason to pursue the website idea, and there are many options for sites that can be hosted (and self-help for creating) within the myriad of concerns and conditions that one would have for this type of site/scenario. However given the restrictions of her priorities, her internet access, and her unfamiliarity with the process, this endeavour may be best pursued and achieved with a team (but “posse” sounds much more “story”).

To quote the First People’s Principles of Learning: “Learning is holistic,” and “learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community.” (FNESC, 2015) Based on this, it would appear that for First Peoples, an issue such as bullying isn’t handled as a solitary element, nor with a solitary element (such as a website) but rather an opportunity for community to come together and practice ‘community.’ To accurately reflect on this scenario, one needs to remember the crucial piece that their community is based on interconnectedness and on relationship. The Lone Ranger motif is not a fit.

FNESC (2015). First peoples principles of learning. Retrieved from http://www.fnesc.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PUB-LFP-POSTER-Principles-of-Learning-First-Peoples-poster-11×17.pdf