Attributes of learning in MET

The MET program has been my only online learning experience to date. According the Bransford, Brown and Cocking (1999), effective learning environments are framed within the convergence of learner-centred, knowledge-centred, assessment-centred, and community-centred lenses. Anderson states that assessing student precondition and cultural prerequisites, a necessity to be learner-centred, is challenging in online learning environments (2008a). One method offered to overcome this challenge is a virtual icebreaker. I found that each course I have attended in MET has included this at the beginning. I found that some were better at assessing my prerequisite knowledge than others. But on further reflection I wonder if it was actually my willingness to divulge information that was the true limitation. As I progress in this program, I am finding that I am more forthcoming and vulnerable in this online environment. Certainly, in a F2F situation, I would be even more reserved, thus as a teacher, more information about my prerequisite knowledge and cultural context would be acquired online compared to a large class room. In this scenario, I believe the online environment has a advantage over a F2F class.

Knowledge-centred learning requires not only content but epistemology, language and context that is relevant to the discipline (Anderson, 2008a). I think the MET courses do a very good job of providing this through readings, reflection and discussions. I found that some courses were better at providing “big-picture” scaffolding compared to others. I also found that scaffolding came in different forms, such as objectives, discussion questions, content or module introduction.

As for assessment centred learning, the MET courses provided both formative and summative assessment through assignment feedback, peer assessments on assignments, peer comments during discussions, and final grades. I found the assessments to be motivating and informative. I have not experience any online virtual labs or simulation exercises with automated assessments but it is definitely something that I would be interested in experiencing as a student and using as a educator. Has anyone else had experience with these?

One thing that the MET programs has really excelled over traditional classroom is the community centred aspect of learning. The group work, as well as online discussions and forums have significantly augmented my learning and I find it to be a valuable component. I feel that I am a member of a learning community, and this is reinforced with each course. I find that at the beginning of the course, I feel more independent, but as the course progresses and our interactions increase, the sense of community also increases. Though Anderson notes that learner-centred aspect of online learning may interfere or make the community-centred aspect challenging, I have not found this to be the case for myself (2008a). I find that my autonomy as a learner is not hindered by being apart of a community of learners. 

Currently I am working with the Moodle platform to create my course. Within Moodle, there are various methods for students to interact with each other, content and the teacher. I hope to utilize these to create an effective learning environment. I am particularly interested in using wiki’s, chats and forums to achieve interactions between students, student-teacher and student-content.I plan to use both synchronous and asynchronous communication methods. I think reflection is a great way for students to interact with content and organize their thoughts and I would like to incorporate this into my course as well. . . .but all the while, keeping my course organized so students don’t get confused about what to do when.  I would love to develop interactive content that responds to student responses/behavior but I have not seen this within Moodle and it is beyond my capabilities to build such content. BUT if anyone has discovered a fairly easy way to do this, I am all EARS!

I am sure that as I read responses of others in this class, I will find other things I would like to include in my course to make it an effective learning environment. The other thing I need to keep in perspective is that a course always evolves, and what I develop now will continue to change as I use it in real-life, receive feedback, and revise content and activities. 

Anderson, T. (2008a). Towards a theory of online learning. In T. Anderson & F. Elloumi (Eds.), Theory and practice of online learning. Edmonton AB: Athabasca University. Retrieved from http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/02_Anderson_2008-Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf

Bransford, J., Brown, A., & Cocking, R. (1999). How people learn: Brain, mind experience and school. Washington, DC: National Research Council. Retrieved February 17, 2016, from http://www.colorado.edu/MCDB/LearningBiology/readings/How-people-learn.pdf