Copyright is the bane of my existence!

Hi Everyone;

Excuse the whining here. I am actually very grateful for this module because for the past few years, I have been responsible for seeking copyright permission for a few large publication projects. Everything I know about copyright, I’ve had to learn on my own with very little assistance.

Oh, how I wish everything could be found on iStock! I have spent weeks searching for clinical images for specific medical or dental conditions. When I do find some appropriate images 75% of the time,  they are owned by a monopoly organization called Elsevier. They charge a fortune and have ridiculous restrictions that don’t help at all in this age of open educational resources. My director recently published an article in a publication they owned. She had the option of making her article an open resource. However, there was a catch. She would have to pay the $4000 for the privilege. She was the author, she was making no money on the publication of her article, but if she wanted others to use it freely, she had to pay upfront. This is definitely not in the spirit of ‘Fair Dealing’.

The dilemma we regularly face is that we want to publish our courses on a website not managed by the University of Manitoba. Consequently, most ‘fair dealing’ privileges described by UBC do not apply to us. We have to get transactional consent to republish an image and this can be very tricky and very time consuming.

Reference:

UBC Copyright. Fair Dealing in Practice. Retrieved from http://copyright6.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2015/04/Fair-Dealing-in-Practice-v-1-0-2015.pdf