Welcome, to the world of tomorrow!

Ever since I first heard about MOOCs a few years ago I have been fascinated by the concept of widely available and on-demand education. I find it really interesting that so many educators and educational technologists feel that MOOCs are going to be a big component of education in the future. Since I don’t spend much time in the classroom, I am definitely more curious about the technologies that are up and coming. The two that pique my interest are probably virtual/augmented reality and machine learning/artificial intelligence. The idea that students will be able to experience learning in a virtual environment is going to open so many doors for unique engagement opportunities. I definitely think that the level of understanding is going to increase with VR learning. Machine learning and AI are also going to make the learning process look vastly different than it appears today. I would not be surprised to see intelligent computer-based tutors and trainers within the next 10 years. While both of these technologies are amazing in their capabilities, they also foster a more individualized learning environment. So I hope that some form of social component is developed or a ground breaking tool is created to advocate the social aspect of learning. One thing that I worry about as an educational technologist is where we are actually going to fit in the structure of learning. It has been an interesting 15 years with the transition from basic computing and communicating to cloud-based platforms and hyper-connectedness. In another 10 years are roles like ours going to be needed for educational institutions once instructors are properly trained, teachers are employed who have grown up with advanced technology, and once systems become more user friendly and easily accessible. As a career choice I hope there will always be some aspect of technology that will outpace the comfort level of instructors and administrators.