Lenora’s Best Choice

Is a website the way to go for Lenora – why or why not? Post your estimation. Be sure to explain how you came up with your answer.

After reading Lenora’s case study, I don’t believe a website is necessary for her to create an online anti-bullying resource for band teachers. It would take much longer if she were to create this at home since she only has dial-up (I remember back in the day using dial-up and it was painful to hear the dial-up sound only to have a break in internet connection). Yes, if she were to create a website (which isn’t my first choice for her) at school, it would be better than creating it at home since her school at least has broadband; but she doesn’t have the time since she would like to spend it at home with her family. There are other tools available she can use that would better suit her needs. Like others have said, Blogs ( WordPress and Weebly), social media such as Facebook or Twitter would also be viable options in her case.

If Lenora were to create a blog, she would be creating an online resource for her band members that would be easily accessible, require less bandwidth, establish an open network where she and others can share information, knowledge and ideas on anti-bullying; which in turn would help others. It’s simple to create (I know as we have created one for this course), has an easy to navigate interface and connections will be made between people. I think this is a better option for Lenora than creating a website.

Another option for Lenora would be to create a Facebook page or a Twitter hashtag. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t know what Facebook is (unless you’re a young child or living under a rock) and I think her Facebook page would spread like wildfire across band members. Most people would already have an account and if not it’s really simple to create. Band members can access it at anytime, share their stories and information on anti-bullying, read what others have said on this issue and can be easily accessed just like a blog if the user has a cellphone, iPad, laptop or desktop computer. Users can also be notified via email or text when someone has posted something on this Facebook account allowing for an instant response.

I like the idea of Lenora creating a Twitter hashtag too. Now, she could make it specific only to her band members by creating a hashtag like #AntibullyingTsq’escenemcCanimLakeBandReserve, but I think it would be invaluable if she were to create one that might get better recognition across the Twitter community; since this online resource would benefit all Aboriginal, First Nations and Inuit communities. Perhaps to be more politically correct she could use #IndigenousAntiBullying. This would start great conversations, allow a wealth of information and stories to be shared and could make a difference in people’s lives.

If she were to create a blog, Facebook page or a Twitter hashtag, she wold not need more than a weekend to do it; if not just one afternoon.