Lenora’s Challenge

Hi Everyone;

Sorry for the late post.

First of all, I have to say that Lenora impresses me. Despite her lack of experience with technology, she is passionate enough about creating culturally-relevant anti-bullying resources for her colleagues that she is willing to consider creating a website from scratch. However, as you have all discussed already, this may not be the best route for Lenora, considering that she is new to the process and has limited bandwidth at home.

The idea of using Cradleboard as a starting point makes the most sense to me. This established learning community would be an excellent springboard for a discussion about bullying in the classroom, especially as there are probably a lot more people interested in this topic than Lenora is yet aware of.

My suggestion would be to create a social media site on Facebook where Aboriginal educators from all over North America could come together to share resources and discuss relevant issues. Ideally, Cradleboard would allow her to have a widget on their site where she could post her Facebook (FB) link and invite members to join. (A simple email request to the site’s creator could get it started.) Lenora is a very busy person and although she is committed to this process, she needs a platform that runs itself.

The other reason that I like the idea of using Facebook, is because of the importance of communication around this topic within the community. Lenora herself is aware of the importance of reflective practice and a FB community would facilitate this. Bullying is a day-to-day issue in the classroom and it would be great if educators could share their challenges and suggestions with some immediacy.

As many of you have already suggested, once Lenora is ready to post learning resources, it may be wise for her to create a wiki. It could start out as a simple text-based site, but as Lenora improves her digital-literacy skills, she could upgrade the learning assets.  It would then serve as a place that she could reference on the FB page and direct people to the resources that she, and perhaps others have created. I imagine that in time, her wiki could really take off. However, I don’t think that it would ever preclude taking advantage of the immediacy and convenience of FB’s social medial platform.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Tanya

Reference

Porto, S. (2015). The uncertain future of Learning Management Systems. The Evolllution: Illuminating the Lifelong Learning Movement. Retrieved from http://evolllution.com/opinions/uncertain-future-learning-management-systems/