Learning Attributes in the MET context

In the article “Towards a theory of online learning,” Anderson (2008) outlines four broad categories that must be addressed to create an effective learning experience: leaner, knowledge, assessment, and community. Overall, the courses I have taken in the MET program have addressed these four areas. However, some areas have received more attention in some courses than others.

Learner-centered

Anderson (2008) emphasises the importance of understanding what a learner brings to the learning context. This includes pre-requisite knowledge/understanding, misconceptions, and cultural perspectives (Anderson, 2008). In the MET program, I have seen this accomplished through preliminary discussion posts asking for initial thoughts and understanding on the subject matter. Further, many course have an “introduce yourself” forum where you can share your background and experience. With that said, I find most people focus on their profession versus themselves. Perhaps asking a set of culturally pertinent questions during course introductions would help. Otherwise, I think these methods are quite effective at addressing learner-centered needs.

Knowledge-centered

Anderson states that, “effective learning is both defined and bounded by the epistemology, language, and context of disciplinary thought” (2008, 49). I would say knowledge-centered attributes receive the most attention in the majority of educational contexts. After all, the purpose of education is to build and further knowledge. The MET program has addressed this through: course objectives, modules, readings, videos, and discussions. While these methods are effective, I don’t think they take advantage of the technology available such as wikis, podcasts, and tutorials. Using diverse mediums may also help address learner-centered needs by accounting for different learning styles.

Assessment-centered

Anderson highlights the importance of both formative evaluation and summative assessment that motivates, informs, and provides feedback to learners and teachers (2008). In the MET program this has taken the form of essays, reflections, discussion posts, creating e-learning platforms/content, and facilitating seminars. I have found feedback to be extremely beneficial but not always timely. Interestingly, I have yet to experience a quiz in the MET program. I believe this is due to the more hands on approach of the program.

Community-centered

Building a learning community online while very challenging, is very effective. Anderson states that learning communities can both support and challenge each other, leading to collaborative knowledge construction (2008). In my experience, some MET courses have been more successful than others at creating a community feel. This can be accomplished through discussion posts, group assignments, collaborative documents, live chats, and incorporating social media. I have mixed feelings about how MET addresses community. I feel more engaged and interested in courses with discussion and peer interaction but the asynchronous nature often takes away from the experience. Further, I find group work to be very challenging from a scheduling perspective and yet have had the most fun working with my peers. Perhaps incorporating optional live chats or online real-time offices hours would help balance these needs and challenges.

Anderson, T. (2008a). Towards a theory of online learning. In T. Anderson & F. Elloumi (Eds.),Theory and practice of online learning. Edmonton AB: Athabasca University. Retrieved fromhttp://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/02_Anderson_2008-Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf