Week XIII – Does This Mean I Can Now Wipe All Traces of These Blogs from the Internet?

Well, well, well. We’ve officially reached the end and I can confidently say it was a great journey. Whether I was reading a novel that confused the living hell out of me, weirded me out, or made me crazy uncomfortable, I genuinely enjoyed every moment of it. One thing I really enjoyed and wish they implemented more outside of this course was the contract structure. I feel like it made the course so much more unique and really allowed all of us to focus more on the literature and express our thoughts and understanding of the novels in a creative way rather than just doing it for a mark. The freedom built into the course, I feel like, is what played such a huge role in making it the memorable and enjoyable class that it was.

As with almost everything, I have a lot to say, especially when it comes to reflecting on the novels we read throughout the course. Starting off strong with possibly and very controversial and hot take, I think I want to say that I enjoyed reading (drum-roll please) Agostino by Alberto Moravia???? DONT HATE ME ALRIGHT, let me explain. I can’t help but love the vibe of a kid exploring his identity on a beach, vacationing somewhere nice likeeeeee I can’t be the only one who just resonates with that in a way. Now, when I say resonate, I don’t mean I’m relating to that little bo and his weird and lowkey pervy thoughts of his mom, but instead BEACH VACATION ITALY SUMMERTIME. I think finals week has me craving a vacation and reflecting on the setting of Agostino is NOT helping me overcome it. If I were to pick a runner-up, I would probably pick The Shrouded Woman by María Luisa Bombal because wow wow wow did I find that novel beautiful. I am a sucker for anything that touches upon the experiences of women and womanhood in general because, not only do i love being a woman, but I love hearing other womenbtalk about their lives and experiences as well, fictional or real. As i type this out, I’m kind of starting to realize that I would probably switch the two, but you know what? Whatever, I’ll let it be.

Most of all, I want to thank Professor Beasley-Murray, Daniel, and Tesi for making this class an absolute pleasure to take. All your hard work and dedication made RMST 202 an unforgettable course for all of us and words genuinely cannot express my gratitude. I hope, for you three, that this class was as much of a pleasure to teach as it was for me, and I’m sure the rest of my peers, to take.

My question for OUR LAST BLOG POST OF RMST 2023W2 OMGGGGGG is what made this course the most enjoyable for you? Was it a book, the blogs, the interactive discussion classes, or something entirely different?

5 thoughts on “Week XIII – Does This Mean I Can Now Wipe All Traces of These Blogs from the Internet?

1. Marcus

Hi, Giaan for me the most enjoyable part of the course would be that it is very much less stressful than any other course I have taken in university, usually the stress induced by a class can really take away what makes learning a fun and enjoyable experience (so basically most math classes and especially math 200) so I really like that this course focuses less on those aspects and allows to enjoy learning and engaging with the material more.

2. Jon

Giaan, I’m glad you enjoyed the course! I’m pleased that you found the structure worked for you. Yes, I think the people were a little hard on Agostino, and I’m glad you’re flying the flag for that novel. 🙂

Thanks for all your contributions, and have a great summer!

3. angel

Hi! I feel the SAMEEEE when you say that finals week is having you crave a summer in Italy. As for what made this course the most enjoyable for me has to be the same as what you said, which was the freedom — especially through the contract method — in which books we wanted to read and in the thoughts we could share during discussions! I’d say this course also gave me one of the most memorable last day of class experiences.

4. Maryem Benhallam

Hey Ginann! I do agree with the fact that this course was one of my favourite I took in university this far. I share the same gratitude towards the course as a whole, and truly found it a pleasure to take as well. I think when it comes to answering your question, my favourite part of the course was the level of engagement it entails, as well as its unique structure. It provided for creativity and freedom of learning, which I truly appreciated. Hope you have a great summer!

5. Jonathan Xu

Hi Giaan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the course. I think this course was one of my favorites in university as well, and I think my enjoyment mostly came from reading others blogs and commenting. Reading the books sometimes challenged me, but I think reading blogs and writing comments was always much easier and fun for me.