The needed push for the engine..

by liannemcradu ~ March 25th, 2011. Filed under: Insight.

Believe it or not, growing up, I was never one to really commit to an activity and pursue it with a passion that other students my age did. I was average at playing instruments and participated in school sports teams. For example, I played the piano, but definitely did not fit that typical “asian stereotype,” never even completing a single examination. I participated in my school band, learning the basics of how to play the saxophone and flute. However, I learnt these two instruments because I really did not know what I enjoyed. I was also a student growing up that joined all the school sports teams: basketball, floor hockey, track and field, cross country, and volleyball. Unfortunately this was the same situation, where I never really excelled in one of them or enjoyed one in particular. I guess you could say I enjoyed the social aspect of being on these teams. Even though these activities never translated into things that I excelled at, it was important to get involved, and this taught me to try other new things. Therefore, there was one activity that I look back on now and realize has influenced the way I am today. I was a dancer in the Howe Sound Dance Academy and had been performing there for over 8 years. I had had many instructors there throughout the years, but one instructor in particular has really influenced me and helped me develop as a dancer, as well as a stronger person.

Shalimar Blanchard is not a teacher for the faint hearted. She takes her job very seriously and always is extremely firm, but amidst this, you can see she has a deep passion for what she does. She is not scared to tell you what she thinks, and even though you may be hurt at the time, she means well for you in the long-run. I had been taking classes with her for over 6 years. I have to admit I did not take it very seriously throughout my younger years, but as I started getting older and took more classes with her, I really got to know her style of teaching. She really tries to work with you and focus on what you can improve on, and there is AWAYS something you need to improve on. Many of her qualities have rubbed off onto me. Seeing the ways in which I commit to dance and my classes, over the years we have really gotten to know each other very well. I can honestly say she has, unknowingly, helped with my confidence and provided me with skills of reasoning and conscientiousness that I use today. She has portrayed how she has noticed my efforts by giving me opportunities such as competing in competitions within groups, as well as a solo, used me to go in the place of older students in dance recitals, and the most significant opportunity she gave me was being Snow White in our dance academy’s year end recital of ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.’ Many things frighten me, but I realize I really never was unnaturally scared to perform on stage.

I really appreciate the time she has spent on me and my dancing. She has taught me a lot of things and I can honestly say that the lesson I have learnt from her is to work hard, perservere , and this will create the confidence for you to pursue other things in the future. She provided that push I needed to learn how to commit to working with teams, as well as working hard for myself.