Why I’m doing a Mental Health Week: Day 1

Today, BuzzFeed launched their own Mental Health Week starting on December 6, 2015. They acknowledged the huge role that media plays in how we see ourselves and mental health. So, they’re taking the lead and will be publishing more than 100 posts across five languages on mental health, as well as 30 videos from the Motion Pictures team, and coverage on SnapChat and the social channels on BuzzFeed Health. This is important and I expect many of us UBC students already follow BuzzFeed (I know I do) and if you don’t, you will. BF’s work especially their videos have helped me feel less alone, less scared, and less harsh on myself.

I am inspired by their big week to come, so I’ll be honouring it by having my own 7-day Mental Health Week here on my blog. Each day will contain a reflection of some kind about mental health connected to my life as a UBC grad student in the hopes that it will spark discussion, strength, love, joy, and whatever you need to understand and cope with your mental health.

Wreck Beach

Wreck Beach, where the sea is always there for you when you need it

Day 1: Take photos

This fall has been difficult for both my mental and physical health. All the high grades and positive academic feedback in the world hasn’t really helped. What has is my re-discovery of my love for photography and thanks to smartphones, you no longer need hundreds if not thousands of dollars to release your inner photographer and even pursue it has a career. Nature photography is my specialty and the UBC campus has been the perfect setting for it. My job at the UBC Botanical Garden hasn’t hurt either!

When I take photos, the search for the right light, the right colour, the unique angle, the emotion I want to capture takes me out of my own head, my own pain and sadness, even if just for the few minutes it takes to search, find, capture, and share. And that matters for my mental health. Sharing what I think is beautiful and keeping that moment and piece of work with me forever helps me express in ways that I can’t otherwise. The UBC Botanical Garden, the Nitobe Garden, the Rose Garden, and the sweeping architecture of the Nest are always there for me as subjects of profound beauty and photographic inspiration when I need them, unconditionally, in the rain, in the sun, on a good day and on my worst.

Maybe your creation will be cooking, writing, singing, painting, gardening, urban farming, or something else wonderful and personal. It’s a stressful time of year, so I encourage you to create and want you to know that our campus is an amazing place for inspiration. And it doesn’t matter what other people think of your creation because it’s yours and therefore it matters.

Connect with me on Instagram to see what I’m creating to help me with my mental health. I look forward to yours as well.

#MentalHealth