Sleep is good for you in so many ways

I was planning to go to the UBC Careers Fair tomorrow and Thursday, but I am so exhausted that I don’t think I can make it, so you go for me!

I went to the doctor today mainly so my mother won’t worry as much far on the other side of the world, and there isn’t anything majorly wrong with me that more sleep and rest won’t cure, so I’m following doctor’s orders. My sore throat which started a couple of days ago is mostly gone, although my nose is stuffy and I’m running a fever again.

P.S. To international students on the iMED or domestic students on the Global Campus Health Plan, both offered by David Cummings Insurance Company, go to the University Village Medical Clinic above Staples. The clinic does direct billing to the company so you don’t need to deal with claim forms on your own, something I know I don’t feel like learning when I am sick. I didn’t have insurance thingymabobs to deal with in Hong Kong, so this is an entirely new concept to handle.

I’d just like to add a few words about sleep: It is good for you. I need about eight hours of sleep a day to function happily (it’s an improvement from my nine-and-a-half minimum requirement during secondary school, but apparently that is the average time needed for teenagers — adults need eight). I used to sacrifice my sleep to catch up on schoolwork and then I’d get sick because I was too tired and miss school, meaning I’d have to catch up on homework and schoolwork again, leading to me not sleep — it was a vicious circle. During the IB, I insisted on my having adequate sleep so I wouldn’t miss school as much. This sleep regiment of mine meant I couldn’t really procrastinate as I needed to get everything done in time for bed. Funnily enough, or not really, sleeping more meant that I was well-rested and processed everything quicker, so I could do better in school and finish homework faster than if I stayed up all night.

Mmmmmm, bed.

5 responses to “Sleep is good for you in so many ways